CloudHealth by VMware is the global market leader in Cloud Management, and the most trusted software platform used to accelerate business transformation in the cloud. CloudHealth by VMware is looking for highly motivated individuals who will be responsible for providing outstanding customer service to ensure that customers, partners, and employees have a positive experience getting onboarding and ongoing training from CloudHealth.
The Elevator Pitch: Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
You have an analytical mind and a passion for the craft of software engineering, and you love solving problems and learning new things. Technologies come and go, but that excites you because of the endless possibilities it creates. You’re looking for an opportunity to work for a company whose software is utilized by every Fortune 500 company and significantly impacts every industry. You want to be a part of a collaborative environment whose teams care about the product they are creating, how they create it, and the impact it has on customers’ business objectives.
What is primary need, technical challenge, and/or problem you will be responsible for?
You will bring knowledge to the table which will help us augment and reinvent the processes which keeps development running smoothly at CloudHealth. You will build out new systems to fit new needs and are not skittish when it comes to improving an already-deployed system. You look to learn about technologies outside of your realm of expertise from your teammates and are passionate about teaching them likewise. Furthermore, you wish to have an impact on the largest number of other engineers possible.
Success in the Role: What are the performance goals over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing?
Within your first 3 months of employment, you will:
- Collaborate with the Executive Team, Product Management, Architects, and existing engineering teams to design, develop, and publish software, processes, and workflows supporting a highly available, fault-tolerant SaaS platform.
- Maintain and actively harden infrastructure shared among multiple development teams.
- Build out continuously deliverable application deployment workflows using Helm, Jenkins, and Kubernetes.
- Assist development teams in becoming self-sufficient in designing microservices architectures, supported by Docker and Kubernetes.
- Participate in service-level monitoring, metrics gathering, and an on-call rotation using Datadog and Sensu, and PagerDuty.
- Work across the company to identify and implement new ideas and mature existing processes.
- Actively solve problems using modern open source technologies and techniques.
What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
As part of the DevOps Engineering team, you will:
- Run Linux-based systems in a production environment.
- Run Kubernetes in a production, customer-facing environment.
- Demonstrate experience with CI/CD tools (Jenkins preferred)
- Debug complicated issues with others in a group setting.
- Learn new tools and technologies to serve new purposes.
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
The hiring manager for this role is Scott Jensen, Senior Manager R&D. Scott has worked for CloudHealth by VMware for over 3 years. Prior to CloudHealth, Scott was a Director of Software Engineering for Dell Technologies in Boston, MA for 6 years.
Scott currently leads our Tactical and DevOps Engineering teams.
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?
You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visiting www.benefits.vmware.com.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
- Generous Time Off Programs
- 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
- Rethink's Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
- Financial contributions to your ongoing development (conference participation, trainings, course work, etc.)
- Healthy and local inspired snacks in all our pantries
Category : Engineering and Technology
Subcategory: Software Engineering
Experience: Business Leadership
Full Time/ Part Time: Full Time
Posted Date: 2020-04-28
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.