The Elevator Pitch: Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
You have an analytical mind and a passion for solving complex problems with clean and elegant user experience designs. You are looking for a role in which you can utilize modern design systems to apply your superior interaction design skills to impact customers’ business objectives.
In this role you’ll one of VMware’s fastest-growing business units as we radically simplify cloud management. As part of a supportive and inclusive team of talented designers, you’ll envision and build frictionless user experiences for a SaaS platform that positively impacts Fortune 500 companies across every industry.
What is primary need, technical challenge, and/or problem you will be responsible for?
We need a seasoned UX professional who can not only create simple and elegant designs using our design system, but who also has the leadership and negotiation skills to be the voice of UX for our teams in Bangalore. In this role, you’ll partner with engineering leadership and product management, as you work across multiple development teams. You will succeed through creativity, collaboration, and delivery of our shared vision to radically simplify cloud management.
Success in the Role: What are the performance goals over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing?
You’ll work with PM counterparts to understand feature requirements, and to conduct discovery research with existing customers. You’ll conduct competitive analysis of competitors’ products, and you’ll learn how each of the platform features work together.
You’ll work independently to translate requirements into designs for new features by using the Elevate (and eventually Clarity) design systems. You’ll create and share your designs in Sketch and InVision or Figma,
You will leverage the full support, guidance, and knowledge of our larger UX team. To do that, you’ll present design alternatives at weekly design reviews and incorporate the feedback you receive. When you are not presenting, you’ll provide constructive feedback to other members of the UX team.
What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
As part of the UX team, you will:
- Design usable workflows, interactions, dashboards, and reports that simplify and visualize complex data. Articulate design choices and rationale in workflows, annotated wireframes, and prototypes. Apply business prioritization and make reasonable trade-offs in order to meet project objectives.
- Collaborate closely with an international team of interaction designers, PMs, and developers. Work with product management and customer success to tap customers, stakeholders, and subject matter experts to participate in user research that refines user stories, informs design direction, and validates design decisions.
- Iterate designs with UX team members and stakeholders to ensure designs are strong and practical. Actively contribute to a strong design culture and adherence to best practices. Participate in weekly UX team Scrum ceremonies and design reviews.
- Bring the voice of the UX team to the projects you work on, to ensure that we are delivering consistent, elegant, best-in-class customer experiences. Work with developers during implementation to answer questions and address concerns. Review developer’s work to ensure that designs are fully implemented.
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
The hiring manager for this role is Jen McGinn, Director of User Experience for the CloudHealth business unit. Jen leads both the UX and Documentation teams for CloudHealth, and brings more than 15 years of design, research, strategy, and UX leadership to the team. Prior to joining CloudHealth, Jen was the Head of UX for a Boston-based application security company for nearly four years.
Jen’s management philosophy is that we are better together. Her UX teams rely heavily on the power of critique – everything comes to design review so team members can benefit from one another’s knowledge and ideas. But she believes it’s important that her team members are Agile practitioners: they move fast, learn faster, and collaborate enthusiastically.
The UX and documentation teams for CloudHealth support a global engineering organization that has dev teams in Boston, London, and Bangalore. The team culture is one based on trust, giving and receiving feedback, on-going development through coaching, and giving back to the community through service learning.
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?
You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visiting www.benefits.vmware.com.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
- Generous Time Off Programs
- 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
- Rethink's Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
- Financial contributions to your ongoing development (conference participation, trainings, course work, etc.)
- Healthy and local inspired snacks in all our on-site pantries
Category : Engineering and Technology
Subcategory: User Experience
Experience: Business Leadership
Full Time/ Part Time: Full Time
Posted Date: 2020-05-04
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.