Push Us. Amaze Us. Inspire Us.
Careers in Engineering
We are intellectual mavericks, pioneers, game-changers, and doers of the extraordinary, on a mission to create cloud, mobility, security, and virtualization solutions that will reach millions of users around the world. At VMware, our people are empowered to succeed and are valued for their innovative contributions as we revolutionize the IT industry.
Are you ready to join us?
Senior Operations and Site Reliability EngineerJob ID R1902920 Date posted 03/20/2019
VMware Inc., a pioneer in virtualization software, is seeking Senior DevOps Engineer with large scale distributed systems expertise for the VMware Cloud Management’s Engineering Services team.
The Cloud Management group charter is to create platform, products and cloud services that deliver automation, availability, performance, capacity and cost management of hybrid environments running anything from traditional to cloud-native workloads. The Cloud Management SaaS and on-prem solutions allow customers to do intelligent operations management, increase velocity by optimizing applications, decrease downtime, and radically reduce time to resolve issues. They are rapidly redefining metrics monitoring for the next generation of hybrid architectures by using a massively scalable approach that provides real-time processing of high-frequency system measurements.
This is an exciting area to work with multiple products and services in the pipeline in fast-paced work culture. You will play a key role in building and operating the real-time data collection/processing and visualization systems.
Does working on cutting-edge enterprise products and services that solve large, real-world distributed systems problems and delivering them on a daring schedule motivate you? Then this job is for You!
As part of the VMware Cloud Management Engineering Services team, you will work on full-time basis with the team of Engineers, developing and deploying software that will help drive improvements towards the availability, management, and visibility of VMware cloud services. You will also work on developing a pipeline facilitating the overall software development processes enabling true continuous integration and continuous development. You will take part in the on-call rotation for critical systems. You will contribute to the development of tools for metrics gathering, introspection, monitoring and orchestration. You may as well work on developing required tools for validating cloud services both from end-to-end and scale/performance perspectives. As a member of our team you will work closely with developers and PMs to deliver quality releases.
Responsibilities will include but not limited to:
- Automtaion, automation, automation!
- Develop and deploy software that will help drive improvements towards the availability, management, and visibility of VMware cloud services
- Advocate and implement reliable and resilient design patterns
- Work closely with developers to resolve issues and reproduce software defects against possible regressions
- Take initiative to improve products, services and processes, come up with solutions for improvements towards global company goals
- As a passionate quality guard, your role will be to guarantee the positive outcome of automation via minimizing the risk of regressions
- Work closely with different R&D and Engineering Services teams including offshore ones
- Operational experience with Git, Jenkins, Ant/Maven and other industry standard tools/technologies used in software development
- A deep and abiding love of Linux or a respectful hatred for it. Either way, you'll need to be able to sed/awk/grep like a pro.
- Experience in Java and/or python programming languages (other programming languages are OK, but should be comfortable to switch to Java)
- Hands-on experience with NoSQL technologies (e.g. Cassandra, MongoDB, Redis, etc.) and/or search-based datastores and libraries (Lucene, Solr, etc.)
- Experience with at least one cross-platform configuration management and/or orchestration tool such as Ansible, Salt, Chef, Packer and Terraform
- Knowledge of cloud architecture security, scaling, reliability, resiliency and management principles and experience working with AWS, GCE or Azure cloud infrastructures
- Ability to analyze and optimize performance in large scale distributed systems and in high-traffic Internet applications
- Experience deploying and maintaining production services using container technology such as Docker and Kubernetes is a big plus
- Experience with Java application servers and JVM configuration
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English are mandatory
Our team looks for individuals who embody our values of humility, empathy, collaboration above isolationism, respectfulness, trustworthiness, and good-natured fun.
Additionally, we would like:
- Familiarity with logging and infrastructure/application monitoring technologies
- Hands-on experience in VMware products installation and configuration
- Attractive compensation package - competitive salary, flexible bonus scheme and additional long-term incentives.
- Individual career path - management and technical career growth, enhanced by learning and development program, regular performance assessment, opportunity to work with international teams of IT professionals.
- Healthy work environment - company sponsored medical insurance program, food and beverage program, sport activities, open communication.
- Work-life balance – 20 calendar days paid vacation, 5 days company paid sick leave, regular team buildings and celebrations.
- We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. VMware is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity throughout our recruiting and hiring process and is dedicated to increasing diversity in our workplace.
Sorry, there are currently no new opportunities near your current location. Try a new search.