senior network engineer
Wenatchee, WashingtonApply Now
Data Center Operations Senior Network Engineer
The Senior Network Engineer is a member of the Datacenter and Engineering Network Architecture and Operations team that provides service and support to VMware’s R&D Engineering department. The team is responsible for deploying, configuring and managing the R&D networking equipment within the local environments as well as designing, implementing, and supporting the network infrastructure in DC Operations that services this equipment. The Senior Network Engineer will possess extensive technical knowledge, organizational, and excellent communication skills to ensure projects and tasks are completed on time and meet customer expectations. We’re looking for an organized, detail-oriented, and results-driven individual who enjoys working in a fast paced environment.
Responsible for network design/planning as well as administration of day-to-day operation and escalation of VMware's global DC facilities that provide network services to the engineering and R&D entities.
- Assist with Design and Architecture of both the DC Engineering backbone globally, as well as daily network operational tasks for the DC Ops backbone itself and/or engineering tenant network equipment.
- Maintain existing network configurations and dependencies.
- Participate in change control meetings, review changes – determine risks, modify as needed, implement or assist other with completing approved changes.
- Monitor network usage, capacity, and performance
- Perform advanced configuration and troubleshooting on firewalls, routers, switches, traffic optimizers, and load balancers
- Supplement and support existing network designs and participate in new design configurations
- Identify and isolate issues with complex network scenarios involving the hardware and the interconnections used for both LAN and WAN
- Assist with routine maintenance on networks
- Create and maintain network diagrams
- Provide technical guidance and coaching to other engineering staff
- Work with other departments to provide high availability of production services.
- Minimum 4-year degree in Engineering or Computer Science or related field or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years of Linux server administration / scripting
- 2+ years of Windows server administration.
- Experience with Cisco Network Devices
- Cisco: Catalyst 45XX, 65XX, 3XXX, Nexus 9K, 7K, 5K, 3K, 2K, ASR, FEX
- Cisco DCNM for programmability and operations
- Brocade VDX series/Extreme Summit series
- Arista switches
- Dell switches
- NXOS, IOS-XE/XR./Brocade NOS, Dell OS9/10, Arista EOS
- Expert-level experience with: OSI, Ethernet, L2/L3 networking in the modern Data Center and its associated technologies as well as familiarity with various networking vendor equipment: Cisco, Brocade, Extreme, Arista, Dell, etc
- Expert knowledge of 1G/10G/40G/100G physical cabling / transceiver standards: fiber optic types/sizes/capabilities, transceiver types/options
- Network Monitoring & Management – Solarwinds, Syslog, ThousandEyes, SNMP, etc
- Technical Requirements:
- L3: BGP (iBGP/eBGP), IGP (OSPF, EIGRP), PBR, VRF, Multicast
- L2: VPC, VPC+, MLAG, LACP, STP, TRILL, FABRICPATH, VCS, VSS
- Overlays: VXLAN, VNI, EVPN, MP-BGP EVPN, SDN, NSX-V/T
- IPSEC, GRE, SSL-VPN
- Cisco ISE, SYSLOG, SNMP, AAA, TACACS, RADIUS
- Network Management (Cisco Prime, PRTG)
- Knowledge of VMware products: VMware VSphere, VCenter, ESX/ESXi – 2+ years
- F5 Big-IP (LTM/GTM)
- Palo Alto Firewalls
- IPv4 & IPv6
- Job Segment:Cloud, Data Center, Database, Electrical, Engineering, Facilities, HVAC, Maintenance, Manufacturing, Operations, Technician, Technology, Virtualization
VMware Company Overview: VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Interview advice from VMware hiring managers
*For a full list of benefits, broken out by country, please visit our Benefits Website.
Parental leave for mothers and fathers
Employee Stock Purchase Plan
Generous vacation, holiday, and paid-time-off plans
Ongoing development through monetary reimbursements and rotation programs
Neurodiversity, Backup Child Care and Employee Assistance programs support your loved ones
Medical and wellness plans that are inclusive of all family types
News and Highlights
Are you interested in staying up-to-date on the latest career opportunities, recruiting events, and company news at VMware? VMware CareerHub is the place for you to do just that.Join Our CareerHub