Data Center Operations Engineer
Wenatchee, WashingtonApply Now
***Please note job is located onsite at our DataCenter in Wenatchee, WA. No remote work at this time***
You will be a member of the Datacenter and Lab Operations team that provide service and support to VMware’s R&D engineering and production department. The team is responsible for deploying, configuring and handling the R&D equipment within the local labs. The Data Center Engineer will possess extensive technical knowledge, interpersonal and good communication skills to ensure projects and tasks are completed on time and meeting customer expectations. We’re looking for an organized, detail-oriented, and results-driven individual who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment.
** Shift will be 11am - 8pm **
You're responsible for maintaining the Infrastructure that services R&D. This includes day-to-day operation of VMware's data center facility, including, but not limited to:
- Facilitate the deployment and configuration of engineering equipment.
- Prioritizing requests to deploy servers, storage, and network devices to meet business deadlines
- Design, support and maintain engineering test environments.
- Troubleshooting of Servers, Storage and Network Hardware, Software, and Configuration of all components
- Participate in the development and documentation of standard methodologies.
- Cable management within the racks
- Understand how to balance power across 3-phase PDU's
- Inventory management for servers, components, and cables for operational consistency
- Track and trend operational characteristics within the data center environments
- Track and communicate progress of assignments and projects using web-based tools
- Prepare & present weekly status reports of assignments/projects at weekly staff meetings
- Install/remove/relocate distributed systems, to include: servers, storage, and SAN hardware in the VMware's data centers
- Install/remove/relocate patch cables for systems and storage hardware
- Managing the floor, cabinet space, cooling, power, network port, and all consumable capacities (cables, rail kits, etc)
- Ensure compliance with data center standards, policies, and processes via the defined change control process
- Train/mentor junior level tech staff in various technical areas, systems, network and storage
- Minimum 4-year degree in Engineering or Computer Science or related field or equivalent experience.
- Solid understanding of iSCSI, FC, NFS, FCoE storage protocols and provisioning across multiple systems
- 3+ years of Linux server administration.
- 2+ years of Windows server administration.
- Deep understanding of VMware ESXi troubleshooting
- General to advanced working knowledge of automation, network principles and tools
- Strong working knowledge of server hardware (rack and blade form factors).
- Previous responsibilities in a complex, enterprise data center environment. Specifically, 4+ years’ experience with implementation, maintenance, and analysis of servers, storage, and network
- Good understanding of the electrical and mechanical systems used in a data center environment, including Generators, UPS systems, ATS units, PDU/PMM units, and CRAC units
- Ability to communicate intelligently and effectively with contractors and vendors who perform maintenance or upgrade work on these systems
- Ability to learn quickly and address issues as they arise during normal working hours, or when on call
- Proven documentation and communication skills
- Self-motivated, able to work independently, and in a team environment
- Ability to work on multiple projects with various groups including Systems Engineers, Storage Engineers, Networking, and Design & Architecture, etc.
- Ability to interpret and translate Customers Requests into action items
- The position has a physical component requiring the ability to lift up to 50 lbs. And may require working in cramped spaces, or elevated locations
- Travel 10% of the time to support other locations if needed
VMware Company Overview: VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Interview advice from VMware hiring managers
*For a full list of benefits, broken out by country, please visit our Benefits Website.
Parental leave for mothers and fathers
Employee Stock Purchase Plan
Generous vacation, holiday, and paid-time-off plans
Ongoing development through monetary reimbursements and rotation programs
Neurodiversity, Backup Child Care and Employee Assistance programs support your loved ones
Medical and wellness plans that are inclusive of all family types
News and Highlights
Are you interested in staying up-to-date on the latest career opportunities, recruiting events, and company news at VMware? VMware CareerHub is the place for you to do just that.Join Our CareerHub