Push us. Amaze us. Inspire us.
Careers in General and Administrative
General and Administrative
Executive Assistant - Global Government Relations and Legal Operations
Washington DC, District of ColumbiaApply Now
VMware is the leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable our more than 350,000 enterprise and SMB customers to thrive in the Cloud Era. A pioneer in the use of virtualization and automation technologies, VMware simplifies IT complexity across the entire data center to the virtual workplace, empowering customers with solutions in the software-defined data center to hybrid cloud computing and the mobile workspace.
Our team of 20,000+ people working in 50+ locations worldwide is committed to building a community where phenomenal people want to work long term by living our values of passion, innovation, execution, teamwork, active learning and giving back. If you are ready to accelerate, innovate and lead, join us as we challenge constraints and problem solve for tomorrow today.
Why Work for VMware Global Government Relations and Legal Operations:
VMware’s Legal Department is a global team of dedicated legal, compliance, and government relations professionals who share a passion and enthusiasm to both understand and successfully navigate every aspect of VMware’s fast-growing business.
Under the Legal Department, the Global Government Relations & Public Policy and Legal Operations teams are seeking an Executive Assistant to jointly support both small, high-caliber organizations. Reporting directly to both Vice Presidents, the Executive Assistant will be a trusted key member of these organizations, in addition to the broader Legal Department.
About Global Government Relations & Public Policy:
The VMware Global Government Relations and Public Policy team is a small, high-caliber tea to connect all levels of government to VMware’s business goals. The work of the Global Government Relations team is to contribute to the success of VMware and the positive profile of its Executive Staff. Our team practices a collaborative, creative, results-oriented approach. We are a small team that likes to “punch above its weight.” Under the direction of the General Counsel, team members have the opportunity to work with and advise VMware executives, elected officials, and policy makers. Our members handle, prioritize, and follow through on numerous projects simultaneously. This provides an excellent context to learn the many aspects of VMware’s complex business as well as a great opportunity to interact with interesting colleagues and important government officials.
About Legal Operations:
The Teams’ primary goal is changing traditional department mindsets to deliver strategic impact to the business. We are responsible for driving efficiency and productivity; implementing a state of the art technology infrastructure utilizing best of breed tools and systems to automate processes; promoting professional development; improving communications globally; providing general business support, including budgeting and benchmarking; increasing the availability of reporting metrics; improving knowledge management capabilities; and managing change. If you are looking to join an ambitious team where you can be a team builder, a standout colleague and a leader, all while implementing cutting edge solutions that seek complex operational problems for the Legal Team and company, then you have found the place.
As Executive Assistant, you will support both Vice Presidents of Global Government Relations and Legal Operations, and their respective teams, to provide high-quality advanced administrative and executive support. While this role will be DC-based, the VP of Legal Operations is based in Ireland, and both VPs travel extensively, so a degree of flexibility is required. In this role, you will be a key and trusted member of the staff and instrumental in the efficient and organized management of both VMware’s Global Government Relations and Legal Operations teams.
You are expected to work independently within established guidelines and interact with executives in a fast-paced environment, while remaining flexible, can-do, resourceful and efficient, with a high level of professionalism and confidentiality. Experienced level written and verbal communication skills, strong decision-making ability and attention to detail are important. You will be expected to conduct a professional manner and one consistent with VMware’s core values.
Reporting directly to VPs of Global Government Relations and Legal Operations, the Executive Assistant will lead and be responsible for a wide range of tasks, including but not limited to, the following:
- Provide general administrative support with ability to lead multiple projects simultaneously
- Provide excellent calendar and email management, expense and travel support
- Trusted liaison both internally and externally, maintaining confidentiality and professionalism at all times
- Ensure VPs are prepared for pre- and post-meetings and events, such as assistance in preparation of presentation materials, briefing documents, and meeting follow-up
- Ready to anticipate needs of the VPs and/or team and dedicatedly drive initiatives forward with execution on individual assignments in collaboration
- Skillfully communicate and represent VPs and staff with employees, partners, policymakers, policy influencers, vendors and visitors
- Assist with the coordination of domestic and international pre- and post-travel related activities, i.e. prepare and confirm itineraries, expense reports, travel clearance forms, etc.
- Develop strong partnership with C-level executive staff to obtain and communicate information on executive domestic and international travel dates
- Assist in coordinating and organizing meetings between C-level executives, staff, and policymakers
- Schedule, prepare, and assist in executing C-level executive on-site and all government-related visits
- Partner frequently and effectively with internal business functions, at all levels of management, including HR, Real Estate & Workplace, and Finance
- Coordination and planning for meetings, conference calls and special events, including arrangement of logistics, meeting space, communications and catering
- Support staff on day-to-day office activities, such as delivering and sending out mail or Fedex, organizing information, scheduling meetings and logistics, etc.
- Maintain office managerial duties, including ordering office supplies, food and beverage, and coordinating with property management
- Support staff on ad hoc projects used for both internal and external purposes
- Create, edit and proofread business communications and documents utilizing MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Initiate purchase orders, reconcile invoices, track budgets, and complete/track expense reports
- Get to know the teams in depth and be available and approachable to everyone
- Have at least five years of relevant experience and will possess skill related to:
- Minimum 5 years of high-level administration work experience at senior level, supporting VP-level executives in a corporate setting preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to practice consistent discretion, diplomacy, and excellent judgment
- Possess a high degree of integrity and ethics when leading or handling confidential and sensitive information
- Extensive experience in preparing international and domestic travel itineraries, expense reports, briefing and meetings materials, and general logistics
- Demonstrated extraordinary polished and professional demeanor under pressure
- Positive, personable, strong problem solving skills, and an upbeat, “can do” attitude
- Ability to lead multiple projects simultaneously with meticulous attention to detail
- Extremely organized, analytic and can-do with successful time management skills to perform multiple tasks and handle changing priorities successfully in a fast-paced environment with little direct supervision
- Ability to work and communicate with audiences of all types, at all levels, internally or externally
- Strong sense of urgency and efficiency in completing work
- An understanding of the company priorities necessary as you’ll be expected to execute tasks with minimal direction
- Ability to work effectively as part of an Executive Assistance team in the Legal Department and when necessary to work independently with minimal supervision
- Advanced proficiency in MS Office Suite: Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Proficiency in SAP Concur, Coupa, and Workday
- Desire to learn about the business and be a joint part of the Government Relations and Legal Operations teams
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Fun to work with and enjoy helping others succeed
- Hands-on experience with innovative technology
- Dynamic presenter with the ability to translate technical thoughts to everyday language
Your saved jobs
You have not saved any jobs.
Recently viewed opportunities
You have not viewed any jobs.