Global Government Relations Policy Lead – Australia and New Zealand (AUNZ)
Sydney, AustraliaApply Now
VMware, a global leader in cloud infrastructure and digital workspace technology, accelerates digital transformation by enabling unprecedented freedom and flexibility in how our customers build and evolve IT environments. With VMware solutions, organizations are improving business agility by modernizing data centers and integrating public clouds, driving innovation with modern apps, creating exceptional experiences by empowering the digital workspace, and safeguarding customer trust by transforming security. VMware is a member of the Dell Technologies family of businesses.
Members of the VMware Global Government Relations and Public Policy work with a small, high-caliber team to connect all levels of government to VMware’s business goals. The work of the Global Government Relations team is to contribute to the success of VMware and the positive profile of its Executive Staff.
Our team practices a collaborative, creative, results-oriented approach. We are a small team that likes to “punch above its weight.” Under the direction of the General Counsel, team members also have the opportunity to work with and advise VMware executives, elected officials, and policy makers.
VMware Global Government Relations team members handle, prioritize, and follow through on numerous projects simultaneously. This provides an excellent context to learn the many aspects of VMware’s complex business as well as a great opportunity to interact with interesting colleagues and important government officials.
The Australia and New Zealand policy lead will be responsible for creating a coherent and executable strategy to assist VMware global policy goals with an emphasis on Australian and New Zealand (Australasia) institutions in the Australasia region. The goals of the program are to enable VMware’s Australia and New Zealand business and expand VMware’s thought leadership and influence in policy matters in Canberra and Wellington and across State Governments. As Australia is a lead on regulatory and legislative reforms in the APAC region, the role involves working with Australian and New Zealand policymakers at the highest levels of government, the bureaucracy and industry. This role will include monitoring and influencing policies affecting VMware’s products, VMware’s sales and IT implementation, and VMware’s overall reputation with Australian and New Zealand governments and regulatory authorities.
The focus of this position is identifying and assessing current and emerging opportunities influencing cloud infrastructure and digital workspace technology. This includes emerging policy issues surrounding hybrid cloud computing and the software defined data center, network security, end-user computing, and forward-leaning technology policy like blockchain, IoT, and telecommunications. The Australia and New Zealand policy lead will assist the government relations team by closely coordinating with the public-sector sales org and effectively educating policymakers on issues related to VMware’s business goals across Australia and New Zealand, and wherever required.
The Australia and New Zealand policy lead will work closely with the Singapore based Government Relations and Public Policy ASEAN/APJ Lead, the Vice President of Global Government Relations and Public Policy (based in DC), and VMware Australia and New Zealand sales and leadership teams to identify policy opportunities and facilitate high-level meetings between VMware executives and key stakeholders including policymakers, elected leaders, IT leaders, regulatory agencies, and industry associations to promote and advocate the company’s objectives. The Australia and New Zealand policy lead will also staff appropriate opportunities with trade associations, think tanks, economists and pollsters and will help manage outside consultants.
Core Responsibilities include:
- Government Relations: work with the VMware Head of Government Relations ASEAN/APJ and the Government Relations team and consultants to develop a strategy to best position VMware in the Australasian marketplaces.
- Australia and New Zealand Policy and Government Relations Strategy Development: work with a diverse set of VMware stakeholders to develop and lead VMware government relations efforts in cybersecurity and IT policy across all levels of government in Australia and New Zealand (including the States and Territories).
- Policy Advocacy: advocate on all levels Federal Parliaments where required, and local governments.
- Collaboration: collaborate with Head of GR ASEAN/APJ based in Singapore, internal VMware government relations and sales teams, manage AUNZ consultants, and work with trade associations and other memberships and influencers on strategy and policy.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Lead VMware’s government relations activities in AUNZ , assist the Head of Government Relations ASEAN/APJ in activities in Canberra and Wellington (as well as where VMware’s offices are based) with special focus on enabling VMware core business including public sector sales/procurement activities.
- Enable the VMware AUNZ public sector sales team.
- Maintain the highest integrity and ethical standards.
- Develop and implementation of a successful government relations engagement strategy, and coordinate with business stakeholders.
- Set and accomplish, with the input of AUNZ colleagues, aggressive government relations goals and establish positive relationships with business stakeholders in AUNZ.
- Assist in managing outside consultants and trade association staff.
- Help enable VMware’s compliance with all relevant regulations and requirements in Canberra and Wellington.
- Develop key relationships with elected officials and policy experts, internal public-sector sales team, trade association staff, and customer stakeholders.
- Set and accomplish aggressive government relations goals and establish positive relationships with business stakeholders.
- Assist in managing outside consultants and trade association staff.
- Help enable VMware’s compliance with all relevant regulations and requirements.
- Identify key decision-makers and influencers with government and promote corporate positions with those audiences both in person and in writing.
- Produce targeted supporting materials such as correspondence, briefing notes, submissions and presentations in support of issues, proposed legislation, projects or to enhance VMware’s reputation.
- Coordinate meetings with government and elected officials.
- Aid in negotiation and coordination with key business partners in other regions and other policy counterparts working on similar issues and projects.
- Make presentations to government officials, and coordinate and host site tours for government officials from key ministries.
- Monitor emerging public policy, legislative, regulatory and political issues that could impact the organization and work with appropriate internal and external stakeholders to proactively develop or recommend actions.
- Draft and coordinate the approval of correspondence, presentations and formal policy submissions to government officials (elected and non-elected).
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of a corporate government relations database containing all current and relevant issues and contacts.
- Successfully advocate for policy which enables our business, our employees, and our customers.
- Maintain the highest integrity and ethical standards.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
A strong understanding of the Australian and New Zealand governments and joint Trans-Tasman forums is essential, and relationships with key policy and decision makers are critical. An ability to immediately engage at a high level on these issues is required.
Specific requirements include:
- 10-15 years of relevant experience.
- Extensive, first-hand knowledge of AUNZ government and policy process surrounding IT, technology and IoT issues.
- Direct knowledge of government agency and ministry structure and functions.
- Experience in successful government engagement on both policy and procurement.
- Excellent communication skills – both written and oral.
- Ability to think and act both strategically and creatively.
- Passionate about government service and the role of government in society.
- Self-starter and team player who can set aggressive and achievable goals.
- Ability to take complicated technical concepts and relate them to effective policy work.
- Evidence of high-level, measured achievement, in agency, corporate, government and/or NGO context.
- Experience working across complex matrix style global companies.
- While the role is located in Sydney, this individual will undertake frequent travel across Australia and New Zealand and to regional HQ in Singapore, as well as from time to time be required to attend team summits in Palo Alto, HQ.
An undergraduate degree is required, and post graduate degree in a relevant field is preferred.
A competitive compensation package will be provided to attract outstanding candidates.
Business Unit: Sales: VMware’s Sales team focuses on two primary goals: helping customers solve their biggest business problems and hitting our bookings targets to keep our company growing and strong. We begin by forging deep relationships with our customers, so we can truly understand their business challenges and opportunities. We help drive their digital transformation by bringing VMware solutions that provide the speed, agility, and efficiency needed to compete and grow in the Internet economy. We also try to make the world a better place by hosting and participating in community activities. Are you inspired by the chance to solve your customers’ biggest challenges? You can make that kind of difference with VMware’s portfolio of industry-leading solutions. Join our team, and you can grow your career and share in the success of an industry pioneer that’s turning companies into truly digital enterprises.
VMware Company Overview: VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Interview advice from VMware hiring managers
*For a full list of benefits, broken out by country, please visit our Benefits Website.
Parental leave for mothers and fathers
Employee Stock Purchase Plan
Generous vacation, holiday, and paid-time-off plans
Ongoing development through monetary reimbursements and rotation programs
Neurodiversity, Backup Child Care and Employee Assistance programs support your loved ones
Medical and wellness plans that are inclusive of all family types
News and Highlights
Are you interested in staying up-to-date on the latest career opportunities, recruiting events, and company news at VMware? VMware CareerHub is the place for you to do just that.Join Our CareerHub