Push us. Amaze us. Inspire us.
Careers in Legal
Become a trusted advisor, who gives innovative and strategic legal advice to VMware’s global operations. Our integrity-driven legal team upholds the highest standards of business and professional conduct while helping us achieve our goals.
Senior EMEA Corporate Counsel ChannelJob ID R1812496 Date posted 12/11/2018
About our Legal Team:
Members of the legal team at VMware advise upon legal matters arising within a sophisticated and competitive business context. The work of the VMware legal team contributes to the success of the Company and the personal development of our legal team members. The legal team practices a collaborative, creative, results-oriented approach. The collegial and collaborative work environment leads to rewarding professional relationships for team members. Our legal team members also have the opportunity to work with and advise Company executives, who share a high-level of intellect, confidence and professionalism. Legal team members handle, prioritize and follow through on numerous projects simultaneously. This provides excellent opportunities to learn the many aspects of the business and a great opportunity to work on a wide breadth of interesting and challenging matters with other highly motivated, top-performing professionals, at a fun, dynamic and fast-paced company - VMware, Inc.
Role: Senior EMEA Corporate Counsel Channel – World Wide Sales Legal Team
Location: VMware’s offices, Staines, UK
Reporting to: EMEA General Counsel
As a result of VMware’s continued expansion, we have an opening for a new attorney role in Staines. We are looking for a talented, self-motivated, and proactive commercial lawyer with a strong competition law background, who can add measurable business impact by acting as a trusted advisor to VMware’s business teams across the EMEA region with a specific focus on the Channel. The person will be based in VMware’s offices in Staines, and report to the EMEA General Counsel. The primary job responsibility is to provide practical and innovative legal advice on a broad range of commercial and compliance matters to internal business clients but with a specific focus on the Channel. As a member of the wider EMEA Legal team, this person will also have the opportunity to be involved in legal projects and longer-term department strategies for the EMEA region.
- Provide support to internal Deal Management Teams, Channel sales & the EMEA Legal team to draft, review and negotiate a broad range of complex commercial agreements with our Channel Partners & Distributors, including software license, cloud computing, cloud services and professional services contracts.
- Acting as a trusted advisor to the EMEA Channel leadership & associated business teams and provide ongoing counsel while bringing ideas that help define broader business strategy and direction.
- Regularly liaise with & support our Global Partner Sales Legal Team (PSLT) & Compliance teams on EMEA Channel & related competition law matters.
- Collaborate and partner effectively with internal business clients to advise on a wide range of legal topics relevant to the Channel with a specific focus on EMEA competition & anti-trust matters. Provide interpretation of terms and conditions and make practical and pragmatic recommendations based on a risk analysis, ensuring adherence to company policies including revenue recognition.
- Act as a fiduciary for the company. Work in collaboration with PSLT & the Ethics & Compliance functions to emphasize and foster a culture of integrity and compliance. Identify and drive awareness around changes to the legislative and regulatory landscape that may have an impact on VMware’s EMEA operations specifically in the competition/anti-trust area, including developing and delivering training to in-house business clients.
- Take responsibility for projects initiated by both the legal department and the VMware business as appropriate.
- Build, strengthen and assist with managing relationships with outside counsel in the region.
- A qualified lawyer under one of the European countries, US or other equivalent jurisdiction in which VMware operates, and licensed to practice as lawyer in England & Wales.
- Minimum of 8 years PQE in Competition law in the EU and preferably in the Technology sector, either with a US software/IT company, or in a law firm with competence in supporting US software or IT companies with significant Channel related experience. We will consider the applications of candidates who fall outside of this PQE range but who have the relevant experience. An in-depth understanding of relevant Competition law legislation and its application to VMware’s business is also essential.
- Demonstrable experience in commercial law, experience in reviewing, drafting, managing and negotiating a wide variety of international commercial contracts in the IT sector in English, with an emphasis on channel agreements, software licensing and professional services agreements.
- A knowledge or experience in cloud services, privacy and cybersecurity matters would be considered an asset.
- Negotiator with strong influencing skills who focuses on client satisfaction and can plan, manage and conduct negotiations on a non-confrontational win-win basis.
- Problem solver with ability to quickly and concisely analyze legal issues and help to develop innovative solutions that achieve a successful commercial outcome whilst protecting the company from risk.
- Strong business acumen and a familiarity with GAAP rules and revenue recognition issues.
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability and desire to collaborate in a high energy and innovative legal team.
- Self-starter with ability to work independently, juggle multiple priorities, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced high-growth environment. Ability to focus and drive projects from the start through to conclusion.
- Highest degree of personal and professional integrity and ethics.
- Fluency in English is essential, and an advanced knowledge of a second European language is highly desired.
Sorry, there are currently no new opportunities near your current location. Try a new search.