Senior Java Open Source Engineer
Sofia, BulgariaApply Now
At VMware, we are committed to helping our people grow professionally. Our talented employees exemplify our shared values and continue to drive our company to new heights.
You will be part of the Cloud Productivity and Engineering team, a team that develops, deploys and supports the software development tools to improve the productivity of engineering teams throughout VMware. We develop software to solve complexity and scale issues not addressed by standard open source or off-the-shelf solutions. Engineers on our team are expected to develop, test and deploy code to production as well as help analyze, resolve and root cause issues in our production system. The focus of this role is to contribute to and ultimately grow into more influential positions in open source JDK and associated projects relevant to VMware. This role will interface closely with senior architects inside VMware as well as communities of contributors for these projects outside of VMware.
A successful candidate will be proficient in core software engineering skills, including debugging, analysis, problem resolution, writing maintainable software, and translating requirements into implementation. Open source software development is a highly collaborative effort; strong communication skills are required for effective code review, written technical discussions, and engagement with a geographically diverse set of contributors.
We are looking for a motivated developer who can quickly engage and create meaningful contributions to upstream OpenJDK projects. A successful candidate will be able to show expertise in open source development and contribution as well as relevant technical skills in one or more prominent projects. They can communicate clearly the role of these projects in the context of related projects.
Our team is geographically distributed with members in Palo Alto, Boston, Sofia (Bulgaria), Bangalore (India)
Skills and Requirements:
- Demonstrated expertise in Java, JDK, JVM related development, debugging across different OS (Linux, Windows, MacOS) is required
- Strong programming skills in one or more programming language: C, C++, Java, Go, Python
- 5+ years of experience in OpenSource development preferrably in the areas of JVMs such as hotspot or openjdk virtual machine implementation, JIT compilation, garbage collection, interpretation, etc.
- Good at collaboration, across time zones and geographies
- Interest in learning, understanding other points of view, growing existing ideas and combining them with new ones
- At least one, ideally a number of demonstrable, meaningful contributions to existing open source project(s), preferrably in the OpenJDK project
- Independently evaluate, analyze, and resolve typical software problems
- Good algorithmic and problem solving skills
- Build/release security concepts: integrity, provenance, signing
- BS or better in computer science or related field
- Attractive compensation package - competitive salary, flexible bonus scheme, company sponsored mobile phone plan and additional long term incentives
- Individual career path - management and technical career growth, enhanced by learning and development program, regular performance assessment, teams of world-wide IT professionals
- Healthy work environment - company sponsored medical program, food and beverage program, sport activities, open communication
- Work-life balance – 25 days paid vacation, regular team buildings and celebrations
As part of the VMware global standards for integrity you will be required to go through a pre-employment screening process before you join.
All job applications will be treated with strict confidentiality
VMware Company Overview: VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Interview advice from VMware hiring managers
*For a full list of benefits, broken out by country, please visit our Benefits Website.
Parental leave for mothers and fathers
Employee Stock Purchase Plan
Generous vacation, holiday, and paid-time-off plans
Ongoing development through monetary reimbursements and rotation programs
Neurodiversity, Backup Child Care and Employee Assistance programs support your loved ones
Medical and wellness plans that are inclusive of all family types
News and Highlights
Are you interested in staying up-to-date on the latest career opportunities, recruiting events, and company news at VMware? VMware CareerHub is the place for you to do just that.Join Our CareerHub