Push us. Amaze us. Inspire us.
Careers in Legal
Become a trusted advisor, who gives innovative and strategic legal advice to VMware’s global operations. Our integrity-driven legal team upholds the highest standards of business and professional conduct while helping us achieve our goals.
Global Government Relations - Southeast Asia - Policy Lead
Global Government Relations – Southeast Asia – Policy Lead
Why Work for VMware Government Relations
Members of the VMware Global Government Relations and Public Policy work with a small, high-caliber team to connect all levels of government to VMware’s business goals. The work of the Global Government Relations team is to contribute to the success of VMware and the positive profile of its Executive Staff.
Our team practices a collaborative, creative, results-oriented approach. We are a small team that likes to “punch above its weight.” Under the direction of the General Counsel, team members also have the opportunity to work with and advise VMware executives, elected officials, and policy makers.
VMware Global Government Relations team members handle, prioritize, and follow through on numerous projects simultaneously. This provides an excellent context to learn the many aspects of VMware’s complex business as well as a great opportunity to interact with interesting colleagues and important government officials.
The Southeast Asia policy lead will be based with business leadership in Singapore and responsible for creating a coherent and executable strategy to assist VMware global policy goals with an emphasis on Southeast Asian political and regulatory institutions and strategic locations in Southeast Asia. The goals of the program are to enable VMware’s Southeast Asia-based business and expand VMware’s thought leadership and influence in policy matters in the region. This role will include monitoring and influencing policies affecting VMware’s products, VMware’s sales and IT implementation, and VMware’s overall reputation with regional governments.
The focus of this position is to identify and assess current and emerging opportunities influencing digital infrastructure and workspace technology. This includes emerging policy issues surrounding hybrid cloud computing and the software defined data center, network security, end-user computing, and forward-leaning technology policy like blockchain, IoT, and telecommunications. The Southeast Asia policy lead will assist the government relations team by closely coordinating with the sales organization and effectively educating policymakers on issues related to VMware’s business goals in Southeast Asia.
The Southeast Asia policy lead will report to and work closely with the Vice President of Global Government Relations and Public Policy. This individual will also work closely with the VMware Southeast Asia sales teams to identify policy opportunities, create thought leadership opportunities, and facilitate high-level meetings between VMware executives and key stakeholders including policymakers, elected leaders, IT leaders, regulatory agencies, and industry associations to promote and advocate the company’s objectives. The Southeast Asia policy lead will also staff appropriate opportunities with trade associations, and help manage outside consultants.
Strong understanding of the Southeast Asian government and political system is essential, and relationships with key policy and decision makers are critical. An ability to immediately engage at a high level on these issues is required.
The Southeast Asia policy lead will report to the Vice President, Global Government Relations and Public Policy with title and salary being commensurate with experience.
- Government Relations: work with the VMware Government Relations team and consultants to develop a strategy to best position VMware in the marketplace
- Southeast Asia Policy and Government Relations Strategy Development: work with a diverse set of VMware stakeholders to develop and lead VMware government relations efforts in cybersecurity and IT policy in Southeast Asia to enable the VMware business
- Policy Advocacy: advocate on all levels of Southeast Asian national and local government
- Collaboration: collaborate with internal VMware government relations and sales teams, manage Southeast Asia-based consultants, and work with trade associations and other memberships and influencers on strategy and policy
- Innovation in Everything: willingness to try new and unconventional strategies to best impact policy while enabling VMware’s core business priorities
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Lead VMware’s government relations activities in Southeast Asia, with special focus on enabling VMware core business, including public sector sales/procurement activities
- Create thought leadership opportunities for VMware and its executives
- Enable the VMware Southeast Asia sales team
- Maintain a clear understanding of business objectives and priorities through active involvement with key management to assure appropriate linkage of business strategies and governmental issues
- Consolidate government issues and matters into a comprehensive government outreach strategy and lead the execution of that strategy
- Develop, coordinate and maintain relationships and contacts with government regulatory agencies, government departments, governmental leaders to enhance favorable governmental relationships and reputation for VMware
- Set and accomplish aggressive government relations goals and establish positive relationships with business stakeholders
- Assist in managing outside consultants and trade association staff
- Help enable VMware’s compliance with all relevant regulations and requirements
- Identify key decision-makers and influencers with government and promote corporate positions with those audiences both in person and in writing
- Produce targeted supporting materials such as correspondence, briefing notes, submissions and presentations in support of issues, proposed legislation, projects or to enhance VMware’s reputation
- Coordinate meetings with government and elected officials
- Aid in negotiation and coordination with key Southeast Asian business partners
- Make presentations to government officials, and coordinate and host site tours for government officials from key ministries
- Monitor emerging public policy, legislative, regulatory and political issues that could impact the organization and work with appropriate internal and external stakeholders to proactively develop or recommend actions
- Draft and coordinate the approval of correspondence, presentations and formal policy submissions to government officials (elected and non-elected)
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of a corporate government relations database containing all current and relevant issues and contacts
- Successfully advocate for policy which enables our business, our employees, and our customers
- Maintain the highest integrity and ethical standards
- Other duties and special projects as assigned
- Minimum 7-10 years of relevant experience
- Extensive, first-hand understanding of Southeast Asia’s political and policy development processes, and the rules and procedures in effect (particularly the permitting processes and the various government funding mechanisms);
- Strong English Language skills
- Direct knowledge of government agency and ministry structure and functions
- Experience in successful government engagement on both policy and procurement
- Experience presenting complex issues and opportunities to high-level officials and third party partners
- Sound judgement, diplomacy, and the ability to liaise confidently, effectively and positively with internal and government stakeholders
- Sense of urgency, agility, transparency, respect and collaboration in a team setting
- Excellent communication skills – both written and oral
- Ability to think and act both strategically and creatively
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and work under tight deadlines on multiple initiatives
- Passionate about government service and the role of government in society
- Self-starter and team player who can set aggressive and achievable goals
- Ability to take complicated technical concepts and relate them to effective policy work
- Flexibility for work-related travel
- Relevant university degree required; Advanced degree preferred
Your saved jobs
You have not saved any jobs.
Recently viewed opportunities
You have not viewed any jobs.