Push us. Amaze us. Inspire us.
Careers in Legal
Become a trusted advisor, who gives innovative and strategic legal advice to VMware’s global operations. Our integrity-driven legal team upholds the highest standards of business and professional conduct while helping us achieve our goals.
Senior Associate Cybersecurity CounselJob ID R1904641-2 Date posted 03/29/2019
VMware is the leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable our more than 350,000 enterprise and SMB customers to thrive in the Cloud Era. A pioneer in the use of virtualization and automation technologies, VMware simplifies IT complexity across the entire data center to the virtual workplace, empowering customers with solutions in the software-defined data center to hybrid cloud computing and the mobile workspace.
Our team of 24,000+ people working in 50+ locations worldwide is committed to building a community where great people want to work long term by living our values of passion, innovation, execution, teamwork, active learning, and giving back. If you are ready to accelerate, innovate, and lead, join us as we challenge constraints and problem solve for tomorrow today.
Come Work with the VMware Litigation, Employment, Cybersecurity & Regulatory Compliance Team
VMware’s Legal Department is a global team of dedicated legal, compliance, and government relations professionals who share a passion and enthusiasm to both understand and successfully navigate every aspect of VMware’s fast-growing business.
The Legal Department’s Litigation, Employment, Cybersecurity & Regulatory Compliance (“LECRC”) Team is seeking an Senior Associate Cybersecurity Counsel to join this global, high-caliber organization.
About the LECRC Team
The VMware LECRC Team is a global team that focuses on identifying and managing risks and threats, providing practical legal guidance to our clients, and defending the Company against claims anywhere across the globe. Our team practices a collaborative, creative, practical, and results-oriented approach to providing legal advice. If you are looking to join an energetic team where you can be a team builder and a standout colleague, then you have found the place.
VMware has an opening for a Senior Associate Cybersecurity Counsel. This position can be located in VMware’s headquarters in Palo Alto or its Reston, Virginia office. A qualified candidate for this position will excel in four areas: (a) as a strong individual contributor on global cybersecurity laws, regulations, initiatives, and cyber-incidents; (b) as an organized and detail-oriented lawyer and practical thinker; (c) as a partner and collaborator with VMware’s Chief Security Officer, Information Security Team, Chief Privacy Officer, Privacy Team, and Government Relations Team; and (d) as a driver of good business process and ethical practices within the Company. Candidates should also be able to evaluate and balance the needs and priorities of the business when making strategic decisions in litigation.
- Keep current on and advise the Company—particularly the Information Security, Privacy, and Government Relations Teams—on implemented and proposed global cybersecurity laws, regulations, and initiatives
- Provide legal guidance to the Information Security, Product Security, and Privacy Teams around cybersecurity incidents and security vulnerabilities
- Support the Information Security and Product Security Teams on cybersecurity and other legal matters
- Provide practical and strategic advice and counseling to internal clients while balancing risk and business objectives
- Build and maintain a positive relationship with internal clients who become involved in cybersecurity-related matters
- Collaborate with internal team members and outside counsel to efficiently manage cybersecurity matters and all aspects of outside counsel relationships
- Operate effectively and cost-efficiently, remaining mindful of budget requirements and limitations
- JD from an accredited law school, strong academic record, and bar admission are required (California or Virginia bar admission strongly preferred, depending on in which state you will be based for work)
- 5-8 years of experience focusing on cybersecurity and privacy matters; experience working with or in high tech industry preferred; experience in AmLaw 100 law firm preferred; experience working in government a plus
- Must be effective at working with others in a fast-paced environment, with the ability to multi-task and manage a large volume of concurrent projects
- Extremely well organized and detail-oriented
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Positive, personable, strong interpersonal skills, and an upbeat, “can do” attitude
- Ability to interface effectively within all levels of the organization and to gain the trust and confidence of colleagues, business leaders, and executives
- Excellent legal and business judgment, high standards, and impeccable integrity
- Ability to think strategically and to give practical legal advice in the face of ambiguity or uncertainty
- Proficient at reducing large amounts of information to a critical few important themes/issues and clearly communicating these to senior management
- Creative, practical, entrepreneurial, and pragmatic
- Travel may be required from time-to-time
H1B sponsorship is not available for this position
Sorry, there are currently no new opportunities near your current location. Try a new search.