Push us. Amaze us. Inspire us.
Careers in Legal
Become a trusted advisor, who gives innovative and strategic legal advice to VMware’s global operations. Our integrity-driven legal team upholds the highest standards of business and professional conduct while helping us achieve our goals.
Director & Assistant General CounselJob ID R1905222 Date posted 04/15/2019
VMware is the leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable our more than 350,000 enterprise and SMB customers to thrive in the Cloud Era. A pioneer in the use of virtualization and automation technologies, VMware simplifies IT complexity across the entire data center to the virtual workplace, empowering customers with solutions in the software-defined data center to hybrid cloud computing and the mobile workspace.
In the VMware Legal Department, you will find a team committed to building a community where great people want to work long term by living our values of passion, innovation, execution, collaboration, active learning and giving back. We are a group of dedicated legal professionals who share a passion and enthusiasm to both understand and successfully navigate every aspect of our fast-growing company. VMware’s market-leading and evolving businesses routinely present complex legal challenges that demand creative solutions and allow each member of the department to impact the business. The legal team believes in maintaining the highest standards of business and professional conduct, while providing our clients with innovative and pragmatic advice to strengthen and enhance VMware’s market position. If you are looking for a legal department where you can innovate, collaborate and lead, all while providing real world solutions to complex problems for the Company, then you have found the place.
Job Role & Responsibility
We are searching for a talented, dynamic attorney to report directly to the VP & Deputy General Counsel, Commercial Legal Group. In this role, you will manage legal professionals on the Government, Education and Healthcare Legal team, provide legal advice and counsel to internal clients at all levels, and support the day-to-day initiatives and long-term strategies of VMware. The position will be located in VMware’s Reston, Virginia office.
You will draft, review, and negotiate a broad range of technology-related agreements and programs, advising on risk and devising creative and practical legal solutions to meet business needs. You will work with colleagues domestically and internationally to understand key IP and commercial requirements and ensure contractual terms comply with corporate directives, policies and procedures. You will stay on top of applicable laws, regulations and industry guidance that impact VMware’s Government, Education and Healthcare business, and assist in the design and implementation of appropriate policies and programs to ensure compliance with applicable law. You will advise clients at all levels of the Government, Education, and Healthcare Sales organization on matters affecting VMware's business and support compliance in day-to-day sales activities, including providing training and counseling to sales professionals and assisting with compliance initiatives.
In addition, you will hire, develop and lead a talented, geographically-dispersed team of legal professionals to support VMware’s US-based Government, Education and Healthcare business; you will hire and handle outside counsel support in region; and you will lead and/or participate in special projects within the Legal Department, including those focused on improving and enhancing processes, policies, and transactional support.
We are seeking a forward-thinking, strategic, broad-based business attorney, who demonstrates the following:
- You hold a JD from an accredited U.S. law school and are a member in good standing of a U.S. State bar
- You have a proven track record at a major law firm or in-house with a multinational corporation, showing 15+ years handling complex public sector and commercial legal transactions and driving compliance initiatives
- You demonstrate deep knowledge of Federal and state procurement laws and regulations
- You possess excellent negotiating, drafting, and influencing skills, and are an excellent communicator.
- You are a strong critical thinker who possesses excellent business sense and judgment
- You are a practical and enthusiastic problem-solver who is confident, mature and calm under fire and can work independently in a dynamic, fast-changing environment
- You are a well-rounded, engaging and personable individual who encourages others and provides thought leadership for a growing technology business
- You demonstrate the highest degree of personal and professional integrity and ethics
Our team looks for individuals who are passionate about technology, innovate in everything they do, and thrive when they work with a team toward a shared goal. In addition to the above, we would like you to have:
- In-house, public sector experience in the IT sector, with an emphasis on software, service, cloud and mobility transactions and programs.
- Previous experience as leader of a geographically dispersed public sector legal team.
H1B sponsorship is not available for this position
Sorry, there are currently no new opportunities near your current location. Try a new search.