Cloud Security Engineer
Reston, VirginiaApply Now
Employment contingent on candidate ability to pass required background check and additional clearances may be required.
This position will perform work that the U.S. government has specified can only be performed by a U.S. citizen on U.S. soil, and therefore any offer will be contingent upon verification of both of these requirements.
Cloud Security Engineer
Business Job Title:
Cloud Information Security Engineer
The Engineer will be a key member of the security function for VMware InfoSec initiatives. This individual will be responsible for working effectively to support VMware security initiatives in commercial and public sector cloud environments. They will be required to engage on all aspects of automating control and process design, testing, implementation, deployment/execution, monitoring, documentation, and remediation to support the VMware InfoSec security tool infrastructure, security operations response, vulnerability management, and compliance objectives.
The ideal candidate should be organized and extremely detail oriented with strong coding stills and a broad knowledge of cloud environments, security disciplines, and agile development.
The Security Engineer will serve as a member of the company’s Information Security Program by supporting ongoing security engineering, compliance activities, and monitoring efforts across multiple VMware initiatives.
The engineer will work closely with VMWare service providers to design, test, engineer, and implement automated security solutions in all aspects of Information Assurance and Information Security. This includes being able to assess and assist InfoSec teams to automate processes to mitigate system security threats and risks, respond to security events and incidents, validate system security requirements, verify compliance with system security requirements, and perform system certification, testing, validation planning, and act as liaison with other departments and business units to supporting ongoing system security operations and maintenance.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities include:
- Ability to design and develop automated security processes that support integration within existing architectures including DLP, SIEM, MLS, IDS, etc.
- Capable of independent management of projects from design through implementation and ongoing monitoring including working closely with security architecture, security operations, and other operations teams within VMware.
- Perform Security tool integrations with multiple business units across various VMware initiatives.
- Assess large, complicated cloud-hosted services to determine where security threats could take advantage of vulnerable configurations.
- Top Secret/SCI Clearance - and VMware will sponsor the enhanced clearance if it is necessary
- Top Secret/SCI Clearance with FS Polygraph strongly desired.
- BA or BS degree in IS or related field required (Information Security, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related Engineering) or equivalent.
- Must have a minimum of 5 years’ work experience in Information Security including network and system security, and incident response experience or cloud environment development and management.
- Must have excellent communication and customer interface skills.
- Must have experience working within a large enterprise
- Security Orchestration and Automated Response (SOAR) experience preferred (2+ years preferred)
- Experience with Phantom preferred
- Strong coding fundamentals (2+ years coding experience preferred)
- Strong Python coding skills (1+ year preferred)
- Bash and PowerShell scripting experience preferred
- Experience integrating with REST APIs (with and without SDKs), 1+ year preferred
- Strong experience developing and deploying system architectures within cloud/AWS datacenters including integrated security tool deployments, logging strategies, and monitoring techniques. Advanced AWS experience a plus, 1+ years required. Additional Azure/GCP knowledge preferred.
- Strong knowledge of Linux and Windows operating systems and environments including knowledge regarding active directory and group policy, networking architecture design and implementation, virtual environments, and datacenter design (RHEL/Centos 7, AL2 preferred, Windows Server 2016 a plus)
- Strong information security domain knowledge and experience.
- Operator level knowledge regarding the implementation, deployment, and usage of security tools and programs, including:
- Intrusion detection/prevention software
- Vulnerability scanners
- AD audit tools
- Web Application Vulnerability scanners
- Log Aggregation or SIEM management tools
- Ticketing systems and integration with the above
Other desired skills and experience:
- CISA/M, CISSP, PMP, CRISC, Security + and/or other relevant designations
- Experience in large scale compliance or auditing environments
- Systems Engineering, Integration, and Technical Support within environments containing various levels of technical acumen from server, network, or storage support.
- Experience with FedRAMP, FISMA, SOCII and/or audit criteria definition
- Experience performing vulnerability assessments, QA testing, Implementations & Validations.
- User account management (AD or AWS IAM)
"This job opportunity is not eligible for employment-based immigration sponsorship by VMware."
Business Unit: Networking & Security: IT departments are spending more on security than ever before, but the damage caused by data breaches keeps getting worse. To solve this problem, VMware’s Networking and Security team is challenging traditional thinking about IT security. We take a software-based approach that brings customers new levels of usability and effectiveness in today’s fast-changing public and private cloud environments. We’re tackling one of IT’s toughest problems by helping customers manage networking and security services through a single pane of glass across diverse environments. Our software solutions free IT environments from physical constraints to help them achieve superior agility, tighter security, and faster provisioning. Are you looking for the opportunity to help revolutionize IT security? We invite you to join our tightly knit team that’s driven to quickly deliver top-quality solutions to this pressing industry problem. You’ll boost your career by working on cutting-edge innovations in the cloud, security, networking, SD-WAN, and container spaces.
VMware Company Overview: VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Interview advice from VMware hiring managers
*For a full list of benefits, broken out by country, please visit our Benefits Website.
Parental leave for mothers and fathers
Employee Stock Purchase Plan
Generous vacation, holiday, and paid-time-off plans
Ongoing development through monetary reimbursements and rotation programs
Neurodiversity, Backup Child Care and Employee Assistance programs support your loved ones
Medical and wellness plans that are inclusive of all family types
News and Highlights
Are you interested in staying up-to-date on the latest career opportunities, recruiting events, and company news at VMware? VMware CareerHub is the place for you to do just that.Join Our CareerHub