Sr software Engineer (Java)
Palo Alto, CaliforniaApply Now
The Path Forward Return to Work program at VMware is a 16-week paid returnship for experienced professionals returning to the workforce after taking time off for caregiving. The program is open to women and men who have at least 5 years of professional experience and have been out of the paid workforce for at least two years to focus on caring for a child or other dependent. If you meet these criteria, we welcome you to apply.
The world is in the midst of a generational transformation. Enterprises across the globe are turning to software to change the way business is being done. Today, in this device and application driven world, companies are laser-focused on empowering teams by tailoring their businesses to their employees’ digital behaviors. This is where we step in.
In VMware End User Computing (EUC), we build solutions that customize, simplify, and automate the employees’ digital experience at work to help them achieve more. Our Workspace ONE platform provides every employee with the agility of being connected to the business from any device, on any Cloud, at any time.
While VMware is a big company, our billion+ business division feels like a start-up and is fast paced, iterative, exciting and fun. At the core of our business is our end-users; and everything we do is motivated around them and their experience. Our Desktop Virtualization and Unified Endpoint Management (UEM) solutions are state-of-the-art and will push you to your creative limits. We’re a dedicated team that is fanatic about user experience, product quality, simplicity of design, and what our users need / want.
You are bringing a track record of a proven engineering leadership with the aim of aligning people / process / technologies and increasing product quality. You are someone who thrives on technical leadership, management and mentoring, enterprise architecture, and application design.
Our EUC division is known to be pioneers in our field and set industry standards. In this role, you will not only be leading change to culture and technology and championing the adoption of modern architecture practices within our team, but also at an industry level. As part of our Workspace ONE divisions, you will be a major actor in shaping the future of the End-User Computing world. At VMware, you will be a trusted advisor who will work in close collaboration with EUC’s leadership, Product Management, UX, Engineering, and Operations to influence the direction and successful adoption of our End-User Computing products.
- B.S./B.A./M.S. degree or equivalent technical training
- 5+ years of experience in software development
- Must be motivated, detail-oriented, have the ability to thrive in a team environment and work independently
- Strong design, coding, and communication skills
- Strong Java development background
- Passion for collaborative development and support of quality hosted software services
- Experience working on live enterprise-grade services at scale in the cloud
- Understanding of deployment issues in a complex environment (security, networking, load balancers, service dependencies, disaster recovery, etc.)
- Ability to understand the bigger picture of a service product, communicate with others how components of a complex system interact, solve problems holistically
- Experience with AWS services and architectural practices
- Security and compliance consciousness
- Experience with asynchronous programming in Java
- Experience developing large-scale projects
- Experience with continuous integration and continuous delivery practices and tools
- Bug tracking, project management, agile methodologies
- Very strong analytical skills, good judgment, passion for your work
- Good design skills and insight about usability
- Passion for robust automation and not repeating manual procedures
VMware Company Overview: VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Interview advice from VMware hiring managers
*For a full list of benefits, broken out by country, please visit our Benefits Website.
Parental leave for mothers and fathers
Employee Stock Purchase Plan
Generous vacation, holiday, and paid-time-off plans
Ongoing development through monetary reimbursements and rotation programs
Neurodiversity, Backup Child Care and Employee Assistance programs support your loved ones
Medical and wellness plans that are inclusive of all family types
News and Highlights
Are you interested in staying up-to-date on the latest career opportunities, recruiting events, and company news at VMware? VMware CareerHub is the place for you to do just that.Join Our CareerHub