Sr. Director – M&A, Business Transformation and Automation
Palo Alto, CaliforniaApply Now
VMware is currently in the process of integrating several acquisitions with a few more in the pipeline. Some of the newly acquired companies have business models such as hardware and additional models of SaaS which are new capabilities to VMware’s landscape.
VMware is seeking a Senior Director of M&A to lead the company on the journey to develop and execute M&A objectives working closely with the IMO (Integration Management Office). This entails developing end-to-end solutions that integrate processes and systems for complex M&A transactions that drive positive business outcomes. This role will report directly to Sr.Director of Business Transformation and Automation Finance and M&A Solutions. She or he will be responsible and accountable for driving M&A related business transformation and related activities (including hiring, onboarding and management of resources, system integrator partners etc.) across the globe. This role is expected to collaborate with IMO, business stakeholders, other members of BTA (Business Transformation and Automation) and IT teams across the value chain of capabilities
This individual should be someone equally comfortable in the tactical details of the program as well as driving strategic implications and decision-making with the executive leadership team. Ability to influence others and build strong collaborative relationships is extremely important as this transformation impacts most key functions and processes across the enterprises. The individual should possess strong leadership qualities, including the ability to create and articulate a concise vision and objectives. The candidate needs to have strong people skills in the areas of selection, coaching and developing teams. The individual for this role should be someone with solid business knowledge and background so that they are credible with our executive team.
- Building and leading an M&A program from a Business Transformation perspective that is responsible for the end-to-end transformation of the acquisition and divestiture activity including defining scope, objective, governance structure, timelines and execution of the business requirements aligned with the company’s overall business and operational strategy working closely with the integration office.
- Establish a governance model to drive effective and efficient “decision making” along with empowerment including appropriate policies and procedures for the program.
- Lead cross-functional large global teams to successfully deliver on design and development and implementation for the needed business transformation around business practices, policies, capabilities and requirements supporting various Business Functions to achieve the intended business outcomes/goals.
- Drive decision, facilitate discussion to define, design all elements of new business models, practices, policies, and processes with implication to acquisition integration
- Holistically connect and drive the process transformation to achieve higher level of simplification and standardization needed for a success acquisition integration including enhancement or retirement acquired company systems, processes and controls to ensure effective development, monitoring, and support is in place.
- Work across the company including with teams responsible for requirements, solution architecture, quality assurance and production support.
- Maintain and apply comprehensive knowledge of industry standards, methodologies, processes and best practices to drive activities in the project
- Establish and maintain competence in current and planned versions of acquired company systems which are typically NetSuite, Intacct, Quickbooks, Zuora etc.
- Understand the use of industry tools / technology & their impact on project & operational goals such as the use of the ERP modules, cloud, reporting tools and software (business objects, SAP Cloud Analytics etc.)
- Driving technical, cultural and operational transformation and delivery of mission critical business programs.
- Negotiate and structure contracts favorable to the organization.
- Able to attract, motivate, retain and hire top talent in the team.
- Develop and implement mentoring, training, coaching, performance feedback, regular evaluation of the team members.
- Bachelor’s degree is required and master’s degree in Computer Since or MBA is preferred.
- 15+ years of experience (for a similar role) in acquisitions and divestitures area
- Demonstrated track record of leading within complex organizations requiring strong influence management skills - ability to work cooperatively at all levels in matrix environment to build and maintain the positive relationships required to accomplish organizational goals.
- Prior experience of managing, leading, guiding, motivating, career development, review and appraisal of senior functional teams with responsibilities of program/project management, enterprise business process and solution architecture.
- Experience in managing all phases of program to success, including planning, design, testing and deployment processes; manage resource and budgeting for business resources; foresee and manage risks and issues; manage schedule, quality, and deliverables; effectively communicate status and ensure successful working relationships among project teams.
- Anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, propose and manage tradeoffs, balance the business needs versus technical constraints.
- Superior communications (written/verbal), presentation and facilitation skills with all levels of management, cross-functional and matrix teams in a global company/environment
- Extensive experience in vendor management and contract negotiation specifically with software and services vendors including systems integrators.
- Charismatic leader with strong executive presence; able to work well cross-functionally and cross-culturally and influence a broad range of internal and external audiences
- Proven ability to achieve results in a highly matrixed organizational structure that spans across the globe.
- Strong budget management background, including forecasting and modeling and proven ability to plan, forecast, and manage resources.
- Track record of on-time and on-budget system program delivery.
VMware Company Overview: VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Interview advice from VMware hiring managers
*For a full list of benefits, broken out by country, please visit our Benefits Website.
Parental leave for mothers and fathers
Employee Stock Purchase Plan
Generous vacation, holiday, and paid-time-off plans
Ongoing development through monetary reimbursements and rotation programs
Neurodiversity, Backup Child Care and Employee Assistance programs support your loved ones
Medical and wellness plans that are inclusive of all family types
News and Highlights
Are you interested in staying up-to-date on the latest career opportunities, recruiting events, and company news at VMware? VMware CareerHub is the place for you to do just that.Join Our CareerHub