Push us. Amaze us. Inspire us.
Careers in Marketing
Are you a marketing whiz? Dare to communicate around the world as you put strategy into action through integrated marketing plans in digital, print, email, webinars, trade shows and more.
Senior Manager Business Operations, Communications
Palo Alto, CaliforniaApply Now
Global Communications Team
Story-telling is at the heart of VMware’s future growth; with great stories we inspire our customers, influencers, partners and employees and share VMware's positive impact in business and in our communities. We are a team of around 50 communications professionals spanning public relations, industry analyst relations, thought leadership campaigns, and executive and employee communications. We’re looking for team members with a positive outlook, who are smart, thoughtful, and collaborative. Do you thrive at the center of always-on communications? If so, this is the role for you!
Job Role & Requirements
VMware is seeking a Senior Communications Manager to partner with the Chief Communications Officer (CCO) and Global Comms team to accelerate business planning, systems, processes and operations across the communications team as well as with partners and stakeholders across the business. You will report directly to the CCO and will partner with the CCO and Comms Leadership team to drive the effective operation and advancement of the organization, ensuring the right people are working on the right priorities, at the right time, and with the right resources.
- Planning: Lead the planning process for the function, and prepare and organize all aspects of comms leadership meetings and presentations, including establishing operating rhythms, working with administrative support staff on scheduling, setting agendas, and driving appropriate follow-up
- Project Management: Drive comms project management for key events, campaigns and launches. This includes the creation and facilitation of small cross-communications working teams, and development of an operational and accountability framework.
- Communications Systems & Process: Lead assessment, creation and implementation of effective comms tools to help lead key comms processes eg speaking opportunities, content repository, calendar, quarterly “message manual” on for Global Comms, templates, playbooks etc.
- Corporate Calendar: Manage and communicate the ongoing corporate calendar of news, launches, industry events, company achievements, and speaking opportunities.
- Knowledge and Information: Build a single source for all important, up-to-date, real-time content and information to assist team members in integrating across teams and making effective decisions.
- Goal Management and Scorecard Tracking: Work with appropriate providers to devise, develop and publish a comms scorecard and exec dashboard, including impact metrics for all communications functions. Build into quarterly business reviews.
- Budget Management: Manage the functional budget including planning process, ensuring that budgets are thoughtfully allocated and forecasted. Work with finance to manage investments and expenditures, ensure projects are funded and mapped to forecast and all company policies are adhered to. Manage quarterly allocations, reconciliations, and quarter close.
- Vendor Management: Lead the annual contract discussions with vendors in partnership with Procurement, and lead vendor processes such as new RFPs on behalf of the team.
- Best Practice Sharing: Drive global, cross-functional sharing and collaboration to maximize efficiency and effectiveness
- Team Development Plan: Partner with HR Business Partner to build and operationalize ongoing career and development programs
Qualifications & Skills
You are an operational guru. You’re able to adeptly integrate people and processes around key business outcomes. Simplifying and providing clarity to everyone at every point in the journey comes naturally to you. You love the art of project management, you probably like spreadsheets and numbers, you’re adept at using digital tools and processes, you collaborate with ease, and relationships form the basis of the impact and outcomes you deliver in your work.
- Operational leader, with likely experience in business operations, project management, consultancy or as a chief of staff.
- Exceptional written and oral communications skills, including an ability to communicate effectively at an executive level
- Strategic thinker who has an eye for detail, is organized, and can lead and engage with multiple programs simultaneously
- Ability to prioritize and manage work and trade-offs against critical project timelines in a fast-paced environment
- Calm and composed under pressure but with high sense of urgency and ownership to drive issues and tasks to completion.
- Superb ability to build long term trusted relationships with peers, leaders and multiple stakeholders at all levels.
- Communications experience within tech preferable.
- Compassion, good emotional intelligence, and cultural sensitivity. Good sense of humor and ability to see work as fun.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Your saved jobs
You have not saved any jobs.
Recently viewed opportunities
You have not viewed any jobs.