Push Us. Amaze Us. Inspire Us.
Careers in Engineering
We are intellectual mavericks, pioneers, game-changers, and doers of the extraordinary, on a mission to create cloud, mobility, security, and virtualization solutions that will reach millions of users around the world. At VMware, our people are empowered to succeed and are valued for their innovative contributions as we revolutionize the IT industry.
Are you ready to join us?
Senior Director, Engineering - Cloud Automation
Palo Alto, CaliforniaApply Now
Business Summary: Cloud Automation (Cloud Management)
Our Cloud Management Business Unit (CMBU) is developing a number of hybrid cloud management capabilities, accessible as SaaS services. The Cloud Management / vRealize Suite is at the heart of the market's IT transformation motivated by cloud, virtualization, devops and containers. A critical component of this suite is Log Intelligence — a SaaS based log analytics solution. We provide automated, intuitive, unified and real-time visibility into on infrastructure and application logs across private and public clouds (AWS native or VMware on AWS). These deep operational insights and faster root cause analysis adds structure to unstructured log data. Log Intelligence's rich dashboards delivers innovative indexing and machine learning based intelligent grouping for faster troubleshooting.
We are looking for a proven Senior Director engineering leader to drive the evolution of this next generation of VMware's on premise and SaaS cloud automation. You will lead and grow an engineering team to translate the product vision and strategic future into a highly scalable Service that meet the needs of VMware's large, global customer base. You will mentor the engineers and while driving delivering of high quality, architecturally sound Services aligned with our business needs. Are you an ambitious, driven, highly qualified engineering leader? Are you passionate about harnessing and making sense of large, complex data sets? The team and product capabilities is growing. With the support structure is in place, you will have visibility to (and work with) a wide variety of senior executives, multi-functional partners and teams across the BU. This position presents you an excellent growth opportunity.
Job Role and Responsibility:
- Own the end-to-end responsibility for delivering and supporting the Cloud Automation platform and services.
- Work with Product Management to recruit, onboard and support critical customers.
- Develop project plans and execute against them in an agile environment.
- Run the day-to-day process and activities, translate and clarify high-level requirements to user stories and tasks, remove roadblocks for the team.
- Represent your team and Services, and communicate plans and status at exec level meetings.
- Lead and mentor an extraordinary engineering team, helping each individual achieve their career goals.
- Plan for long term growth and help recruit excellent engineering talent.
- Work with senior management as well as other teams and functions in developing a long term plan as we expand our SaaS Services.
- Work with engineers and architects to define and develop the right architecture and user experience.
- Be a part of the Service support PagerDuty rotation schedules.
- Ability to travel as needed.
- Proven, tenured experience leading software teams in an engineering or management role.
- Hands-on knowledge with Agile/Scrum methodologies.
- Comfortable navigating change and uncertainty during the software development lifecycle.
- Ability to work with and lead strong engineers.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work in a geographically dispersed team.
- Bachelors in Computer Science; Masters preferred.
- Experience in software deployment in large-scale services in complex environments.
- Deep understanding of cloud-scale and micro/macro-services architectures.
- Experience with public clouds - AWS (preferred), Azure and/or GCP.
- Domain expertise in log analytics is a huge plus.
Your saved jobs
You have not saved any jobs.
Recently viewed opportunities
You have not viewed any jobs.