Push us. Amaze us. Inspire us.
Careers in Finance
Join our team of motivated professionals in a collaborative, fast-paced environment. You’ll take your critical thinking skills to the next level as you use analytical tools, build connections, and contribute to the growth of our company.
Revenue ManagerJob ID R1904695 Date posted 04/04/2019
Revenue Accounting Manager
Location: Palo Alto
Reporting To: Director of Revenue
VMware is the leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable our more than 350,000 enterprise and SMB customers to thrive in the Cloud Era. A pioneer in the use of virtualization and automation technologies, VMware simplifies IT complexity across the entire data center to the virtual workplace, empowering customers with solutions in the software-defined data center to hybrid cloud computing and the mobile workspace.
Our team of 20,000+ people working in 50+ locations worldwide is committed to building a community where great people want to work long term by living our values of passion, innovation, execution, teamwork, active learning and giving back. If you are ready to accelerate, innovate and lead, join us as we challenge constraints and problem solve for tomorrow today
The revenue controllership team is seeking a highly motivated and versatile Revenue Manager to focus on revenue accounting of cloud delivered services. This is a new position due to the company’s growth in offerings of cloud delivered services. This position will be a representative for the team in company initiatives around cloud delivered services and be responsible for areas including providing revenue accounting policy and technical guidance related to cloud services, design and documentation of processes including SOX controls, ensuring data and reports available for accurate period and quarter end accounting closes, collaboration and partnership with business stakeholders to provide accounting support, and mergers and acquisitions associated with cloud services. This position will be part of the global revenue team and will report to the Director of Revenue.
The key responsibilities are as follows:
- Provide technical revenue guidance on acquisitions, new offerings, changes to pricing and packages of existing offerings;
- Document accounting positions and policy updates;
- Provide training and knowledge share within the revenue team on new initiatives, offerings, and impacts to revenue accounting;
- Document end to end processes, impact to period-end and quarter-end accountings, design and implement SOX controls;
- Provide management with periodic updates on status of product/project roll-outs, identification of risks, and conclusions on revenue accounting assessment;
- Active participant in Product Operations meetings, providing accounting expertise and recommendations on new offerings, changes to existing offerings, and other initiatives;
- Analyze accounting impacts and risks on proposals and prepare readouts to management prior to proposal being brought to Pricing Committee;
- Partner closely with business unit leads and finance to understand proposed strategies, business objectives of initiatives and provide input based on industry best practices while meeting company objectives and ensuring proper accounting and compliance;
- Preparation and delivery of training materials for the revenue accounting team
- Assistance in providing guidance on complex customer contracts
- Participation in M&A reviews and open balance sheet assessment
- Assistance with period-end close including review of journal entries, customer contracts, deal review
Skills and Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting; CPA a plus
- 8+ years total revenue/accounting experience in a publicly traded company, of which at least 3 years are with a SaaS based company
- Knowledge of Accounting Standard ASC 606
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) and experience in working with stakeholders within cross-functional and multi-country based teams
- Strong understanding of internal controls and SOX compliance
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks effectively in order to meet deadlines, working independently and under a multi-faceted team model
- Ability to recognize problems, gather data, draw valid conclusions, and effectively present information across a wide level of audience within the company.
Skills and Experience Desired:
- Technical and public accounting experience
- Zuora, Salesforce experience a plus
Sorry, there are currently no new opportunities near your current location. Try a new search.