Push us. Amaze us. Inspire us.
Careers in Finance
Join our team of motivated professionals in a collaborative, fast-paced environment. You’ll take your critical thinking skills to the next level as you use analytical tools, build connections, and contribute to the growth of our company.
Director, Technical Accounting
Palo Alto, CaliforniaApply Now
The Corporate Controller Organization provides financial leadership in the areas of SEC reporting, Sarbanes Oxley program management, technical accounting, finance policy, finance shared services, business support and controllership functions. It also provides finance compliance, process and project management to VMware.
An experienced leader in technical accounting, who will be primarily responsible for providing accounting and reporting guidance to the organization. You will sit within the Corporate Controller Organization and will report to the M&A Controller and Technical Accounting and Finance Policy Team Director.
- Global resource to identify and resolve non-revenue related technical accounting matters, including providing guidance in the development of policies as it relates to implementation of new accounting and reporting guidance and changes to existing accounting and reporting guidance, assisting in the interpretation of policies as they relate to highly-judgmental areas, and coordinating and consulting on technical matters with external auditors, outside technical advisors, the SEC and Policies groups, and/or other partners
- Support the Corporate Controller Organization to understand and identify trends in the industry from an accounting and reporting perspective through public information and third party knowledge insights, and utilize such information to determine practical application to VMware’s current business
- Work closely with others within the organization to implement strategic business and/or operational plans, projects, programs and systems
- Lead, direct, evaluate and develop a team of accounting professionals
- Lead and direct special projects and ad hoc analyses under the Corporate Controller Organization, as necessary
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, Finance or equivalent
- 10-12+ years combined experience in Big 4 public accounting and/or large public company
- Active Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Chartered Accountant (CA) required
- In-depth and current knowledge of US GAAP, SEC regulations and internal controls
- Excellent research skills, comprehension, and ability to succinctly explain complex transactions, its accounting implications and technical accounting requirements to non-accountants and other business partners
- Excellent organizational, problem solving and analytical skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication, organization and project management skills
- Strong leadership in global cross-functional teams and projects, and adept in building relationships across the organization
- Self-motivated and self-directed, but collaborative and works well with people, both on the same team and outside the team at all levels
- Commitment to continuous process improvement
- Proven track record in achieving results in a fast-paced dynamic environment
- Previous experience in technical accounting or similar role
- Experience in high tech industry
- Experience in technical accounting topics such as fair value measurements, investments and financial instruments, transfers and servicing, business combinations, asset acquisitions, consolidation, derivatives and hedging, research and development, leases, debt, foreign currency matters, and exit and disposal cost obligations
- Ability to think “outside the box” and provide different perspectives on a technical accounting topic
- Proficiency in Word and Excel
- Understanding of internal controls and its practical application to processes and policies
VMware will not sponsor a visa for this role.
Your saved jobs
You have not saved any jobs.
Recently viewed opportunities
You have not viewed any jobs.