Director , Strategic Product Marketing - Cloud Platform Business Unit
Palo Alto, CaliforniaApply Now
VMware Cloud Platform is VMware's largest business unit, with 500,000 customers in over 100 countries. VMware's Cloud Platform Business Unit (CPBU), includes the following lines of business - vSphere, VMware Cloud on AWS, and VMware Cloud for On-Prem. CPBU also drives two major new product line initiatives for Project Pacific (K8s on vSphere) and the VMware Hybrid Cloud Platform. This position will lead the Strategic Marketing group for VMware’s cloud platform business unit. This person would directly manage a team of product marketing professionals and be responsible for all aspects of business strategy to scale and grow the CPBU portfolio business .
Job Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead the packaging and pricing function across the CPBU portfolio of products - defining the monetization strategy for a profitable , scalable business
- Collaborate with PMM teams to communicate business related messaging, pricing and packaging, and TCO/ROI analytics of the unique capabilities of the VMware Cloud Platform product line.
- Analyze competitive intelligence, industry trends , market position, market share and growth rates to shape business strategy
- Data driven and highly analytical approach to measure product sales , pricing , discounts and business metrics to reflect performance and plan for continuous improvements
- Drive comprehensive market research using both primary/secondary data to support segmentation , packaging , pricing , positioning , business value decisions
- Define market segmentation and GTM positioning for offerings across the portfolio , for successful market penetration
- Build the value creation and value capture narrative for customers and sales teams
- Establish the differentiated product / economics model to support the positioning of an offer in the market
- Bring a deep understanding of market / buyer access and sales model fit for launching new offerings
- Develop an effective channel strategy for driving partner led sales, balancing incentives to drive growth with profitability
- Define overall packaging strategy with industry best practices around different licensing models – Perpetual , Subscription , SaaS , Term et al across on prem and cloud
- Lead the overall product promotions and incentives strategy to drive growth and customer adoption
- Foster strong relationships with multiple cross functional business units and product teams for driving solution stacks that aggregate multiple offerings
- Engage directly with the field sales teams on enabling business value conversations with customers , strategic deal structuring and analysis and approvals framework for deal exceptions
- Deep understanding of e2e operational workflows and ability to partner with Finance , Legal , Revenue , IT , Backoffice , Sales and Operations; for driving implementation
- 10+ years of experience in Information Technology, with at least 4 years in top tier management consulting focused on technology segment and business strategy/pricing areas
- Ability to create customer-facing presentation content independently, author detailed market research documents, and conduct pricing and packaging proposals (working in conjunction with a dedicated pricing and packaging team.)
- Strong presentation and interpersonal skills, comfortable delivering stage presentations to large audiences on an international scale.
- Solid knowledge of the IT vendor ecosystem.
- Intellectual curiosity & willingness to take ownership of deliverables.
- Excellent leadership qualities, including the ability to inspire and motivate a large cross functional team. This person must be a hands-on leader, willing to personally contribute to the success of the organization.
- The person must have a strong work ethic, expressing dedication to the business and pursuit of the agreed-to business agendas.
- BSCS degree or equivalent, MBA required.
VMware Company Overview: VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Interview advice from VMware hiring managers
*For a full list of benefits, broken out by country, please visit our Benefits Website.
Parental leave for mothers and fathers
Employee Stock Purchase Plan
Generous vacation, holiday, and paid-time-off plans
Ongoing development through monetary reimbursements and rotation programs
Neurodiversity, Backup Child Care and Employee Assistance programs support your loved ones
Medical and wellness plans that are inclusive of all family types
News and Highlights
Are you interested in staying up-to-date on the latest career opportunities, recruiting events, and company news at VMware? VMware CareerHub is the place for you to do just that.Join Our CareerHub