Application Platforms Architect
Palo Alto, CaliforniaApply Now
As an ‘Advanced Customer Engagement’ (ACE) Architect you will work directly with customers covering both traditional enterprise and modern cloud native applications to enable ‘Journey to Cloud’ insights and Blockchain Architectures. In this role, you will evangelize, train and enable Customers on the key best practices and architectures to support VMware Blockchain.
Earning the right as a trusted advisor requires a unique blend of being polished with customers, being technically savvy, incorporating out of the box thinking, and having the ability to drive and engage multiple stakeholders to translate and communicate business requirements into a solution vision that meets the customer's business needs.
The ACE Architect must be a highly organized, thorough and motivated professional that understands the importance of being a strong team player and leader when it comes to forging a solution and liaising with customers. The role will include: being a key field partner for engineering teams, working closely with associated customers, and assisting initial sales & delivery to customers who require advanced assessments, designs, and services. Your knowledge and experiences will also be leveraged as a part of a continuous feedback loop to drive architectural best practices and tooling required to increase adoption, retention and overall partner & customer experience.
The application platform architect is a highly specialized role within VMware and has four major job functions:
1) Support Customer adoption of Blockchain
2) Interact with Customers through workshops and lead escalations
3) Interact with engineering and product management to channel feedback and improve overall product solutions
4) Evangelism across the globe in creating thought leadership in Blockchain and the application platforms space, including cloud native applications.
- The position requires 40% travel - this is typically managed on a prioritized basis
- Provide expert advise on how to modernize and migrate data platforms onto the cloud
- Ability to have architectural conversations with customers that cover solution use cases, not just product specific feature alignments
- Extensive experience with DevOps and SRE (Site Reliability Engineering) practices
- Develop application platform solution prototypes using VMware technologies along with third party tools and products
- Develop best practices documents where needed, and provide product advisory to enhance product documentation
- Write automation software developed in Java, Go, or other suitable languages as it pertains to POC and HOL examples when needed to demonstrate specific customer use cases
- Understanding of enterprise applications, such as enterprise web app containers – Weblogic, Websphere, Tomcat and others
- Understanding of messaging systems such RabbitMQ, and other distributed systems like Kafka
- Understating of data architectures, OLTP, OLAP, Analytics, Machine Learning, Hadoop, RDBMS (Oracle, DB2, MS SQL, MySQL, PostgreSQL), in-memory DBs
- Understanding of Microservices, and FaaS
- The candidate must possess significant 7+ years application architecture experience at enterprise level
- Understands how Digital Transformation affects application architecture and development within the enterprise
- Experience with application containers (Servlet and or JEEE containers) such as Tomcat, JBoss, Weblogic, and/or Websphere
- Knows about current trends in software architecture, e.g. Microservices, container technology, scalable architectures and backend systems
- 3 years of software development experience and/or automation in Java, Go, Python, Perl, or other suitable languages
- Solid understanding of distributed systems architectures, challenges and design implications, e.g. on consistency guarantees, (tail) latency, failure-tolerance, and consensus
- Strong knowledge of systems and application design, with an understanding of operational and reliability trade-offs.
- Understanding of the container ecosystem, trends, and how those relate to building modern distributed applications. For example, candidate must have rich experience with container cluster management solutions such as Docker Swarm, Mesos or Kubernetes as well as how these relate to solutions from VMware Cloud-native Applications
- 7+ years design/ implementation/ consulting experience of large-scale, enterprise infrastructure and backend systems (databases, storage systems, virtualization infrastructure). Exposure to deployment patterns for Web Applications, RDBMS, and in memory DBs
- 7 years’ experience working with multi-national customers in various areas, e.g. platforms, infrastructure, architecture, support, etc.
- Experience in systems administration and heterogeneous environments, e.g. OSes especially Linux and Windows
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Customer focus, passion and centricity
- Ability to work well with and able to influence advanced customer architects, technical staff and executive staff using appropriate domain language to detail out each solution
- Active in the Open Source community, e.g. by contributing code and knowledge
VMware Company Overview: VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Interview advice from VMware hiring managers
*For a full list of benefits, broken out by country, please visit our Benefits Website.
Parental leave for mothers and fathers
Employee Stock Purchase Plan
Generous vacation, holiday, and paid-time-off plans
Ongoing development through monetary reimbursements and rotation programs
Neurodiversity, Backup Child Care and Employee Assistance programs support your loved ones
Medical and wellness plans that are inclusive of all family types
News and Highlights
Are you interested in staying up-to-date on the latest career opportunities, recruiting events, and company news at VMware? VMware CareerHub is the place for you to do just that.Join Our CareerHub