Push us. Amaze us. Inspire us.
Careers in Client Support
Senior Technical Support Engineer
Cork, IrelandApply Now
VMware is the leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable our more than 350,000 enterprise and SMB customers to thrive in the Cloud Era/ A pioneer in the use of virtualization and automation technologies, VMware simplifies IT complexity across the entire data center to the virtual workplace, empowering customers with solutions in the software-defined data center to hybrid cloud computing and the mobile workspace.
Our team of 20,000+ people working in 50+ locations worldwide is committed to building a community where outstanding people want to work long term by living our values of passion, innovation, execution, teamwork, active learning and giving back. If you are ready to accelerate, innovate and lead, join us as we challenge constraints and problem solve for tomorrow today.
About the Global Support Services Team:
The VMware Global Support Services (GSS) team supports over 250,000 companies running VMware in over 100 different countries. GSS provides time-zone optimized coverage throughout five support centers globally. The GSS team supports the entire suite of VMware products for global customers and partners and participates in developing new products and new versions of current products.
GSS team members also participate in product delivery strategy, product documentation, discussion forums with customers, and expert documents publishing. A commitment to excellence and customer advocacy pervades the GSS team, and the work environment fosters intellectual stimulation through exchanges with internal and external customers. The VMware GSS team members are the “best of the best” supporting business-critical applications in a virtual infrastructure.
What’s in it for you?
- The entire VMware team has created a unique business environment -- one of energy, creativity, and collaboration
- The atmosphere is fun, casual, and inviting, in keeping with VMware's roots as a successful entrepreneurial startup
We are guided in our efforts by a strong set of corporate values:
- Excellence and innovation
- Straightforwardness and open communications
- A sense of fun and an appreciation of a balanced life
- Delivery on our promises to our partners, our customers, and ourselves
- A passion for what we do and the value we deliver
As a member of the Global Services support team, you will have the ability to work independently or as part of a team with some of VMware’s most strategic customers and partners to drive their success. You will provide support to our customers, using VMware products, isolating, diagnosing, reproducing and fixing technical issues. To be successful in this role, you are a highly motivated individual as well as a self-learner, possess strong customer service and technical and analytical skills; and be someone who welcomes challenges.
- Respond to customer inquiries, primarily by telephone and e-mail
- Work flexible schedules, which may include evenings, weekends or holidays
- Resolve customer technical issues through diligent research, reproduction, and troubleshooting.
- Work directly with staff in quality assurance, engineering, sales, marketing, operations, and administration to resolve problems
- Document all technical inquiries; develop and review content for knowledgebase
- Provide mentoring and assistance to junior staff
- Participate in testing alpha and beta products
- Expert in troubleshooting Windows (MCSE/MCP).
- Experience with Server Management Software (HP Insight Manager, IBM Director, Dell Open Manage).
- Experience working with Linux or UNIX and providing technical support to customers.
- Experience in LAN/WAN environments.
- Experience with kernel (Linux) or registry (Windows) configuration and debugging.
- Experience with troubleshooting:
- Hardware related issues.
- 3rd party application integration.
- Operating system support.
- General troubleshooting.
- Minimum 6+ years experience in software and hardware
- Working knowledge of Microsoft (Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000, Windows NT, Windows 98, 95, and 3.1; MS-DOS), plus x86 platforms, devices, and networking
- Good interpersonal skills
- Case/Customer Management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong collaboration skills and a real passion for problem solving
Our team looks for individuals who embody our values of humility, empathy, collaboration above isolationism, respectfulness, trustworthiness, and good-natured fun.
Additionally, we would like:
- Experience in Virtualization & Cloud computing
- Certification in CCNA / VCP / RHCE
- Other language
- Experience with database related technology and administration (SQL Server, Oracle, DB2, etc)
- Experience with ESX Server and/or Virtual Center Server
- Experience with SQL query language and/or with SQL Server or Oracle dB (DBA)
- Experience with Remote Access Trouble-shooting
- WebEx or ILO cards
- SAN Knowledge
- Networking Knowledge
- Linux command-line skills and shell scripting and/or programming
- Experience in customization of Windows and/or Linux operating systems
- Experience with Servers (Dell, HP, IBM, etc)
- Experience with Domain integration – Active Directory
- Experience with firewalls and security related issues
- Background in System Administration
- B.S. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Math, or equivalent work experience
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Your saved jobs
You have not saved any jobs.
Recently viewed opportunities
You have not viewed any jobs.