Site Reliability - Professional 3
Chennai, IndiaApply Now
To be a member of the Command Center with the focal point for the success of our enterprise class SaaS service offerings across all of VMware. The Command Center increases overall confidence in the services that are being delivered and ensures proper communication to VMware customers during any disruption of normal operations. This position requires experience developing integrations between monitoring and collaboration tools with service owners and establish processes to exercise judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action. This role offers an exciting opportunity to work across multiple technology domains and engage in the latest and greatest technology services being developed at a world class company.
The Command Center Engineer is a member of the highly visible Cloud Services Operations team and is a core member of the VMware Cloud Productivity and Engineering organization (CPE). As a member of the Command Center, you will be functioning in a world-class team respected for its innovation, execution and collaboration operating a world-wide organization. The team ensures continuity of VMware SaaS Services that impacts any significant disruption of normal operations of our enterprise service offerings and operates 24/7/365 days a year.
The Command Center is expected to provide a reliable service with an enterprise level SLA and must strive for 100% customer support satisfaction. The primary objective of this team is to oversee and ensure critical applications and services provided are available and working as expected for customers and subscribers. The secondary objective is to develop and improve existing service monitoring tools through additional integrations, automation and collaboration.
The ideal candidate serves as the focal point for the success of our enterprise class SaaS service offerings across all of VMware providing technical skill and knowledge to the command center. Along with working on complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors this role will be required to help level up the technical skills of the team, develop tools and automation for VMware services, and assist services in automated problem resolution. The ideal candidate will have strong technical background with Linux, AWS, Azure, GCP, Windows, and VSphere as well as development skills in modern scripting language like python, ruby, or go.
- Strong communication skills with an ability to relay incident details expeditiously, concisely, and accurately
- Highly motivated, quality conscious self-starter that requires little to no supervision
- Investigates and resolves customer complaints and inquiries (i.e., emergency and non-emergency)
- Identify, receive, triage and act upon events and incidents coming from various SaaS services
- Consistently meets or exceeds established Command Center key performance indicators (KPI’s)
- Work per escalation, notification and incident practices
Monitor the availability or the CI/CD environments
- Working under pressure in production environments running production customer workloads and services
- Previous knowledge or strong desire to learn about crisis management issues.
- Ability to work with geographically disperse teams part of a world wide operations team
Success in this role requires very strong technical and communication skills, a broad background and understanding of every layer of the software development, SaaS ecosystems, and the ability to identify the issue and escalate to the correct Dev Ops team. The ability to work independently and as part of a specialized team in diverse environment is a requirement.
- At least 9 years of experience working with production SaaS/Cloud based systems.
- Minimum 6 years of experience with Unix/Linux OS/ Docker
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills.
- Highly responsive and proactive, able to own tasks from start to finish.
- Maintain high level of attention to detail.
- Experience in one or more of the following languages: Python, Java, Go and/or NodeJS
- Experience working with escalation applications: Pagerduty, VictorOps, OpsGenie, etc.
- Experience working with communication tools: Slack, Azendoo, Hipchat
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be highly self-motivated and customer-centric
- Experience working with internal or external notification tools: Statuspage.io, status.io
- Experience with building and improving cross integration across tools and components to build a world class monitoring platform
- Experience administering Linux systems in a production environment
- Domain knowledge of systems management and ITIL is strongly desired.
- BS Degree in Computer Science, or a related field
- VMware Product Knowledge in vSphere, ESX, Virtualization and other VMware Product families
- Next generation application delivery and deployment methods, containerization, orchestration, etc.
- Automation background (Rest-API, Ruby, Chef and more)
- Good working knowledge of at least one public cloud such as AWS or GCP.
- Experience with infrastructure configuration and/or workflows tools; i.e. Puppet, Ansible, etc.
- Knowledge of build automation and continuous integration/delivery processes and tools: Git, Gerrit, Jenkins, Docker, Nexus, Artifactory. Selenium
VMware Company Overview: VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Interview advice from VMware hiring managers
*For a full list of benefits, broken out by country, please visit our Benefits Website.
Parental leave for mothers and fathers
Employee Stock Purchase Plan
Generous vacation, holiday, and paid-time-off plans
Ongoing development through monetary reimbursements and rotation programs
Neurodiversity, Backup Child Care and Employee Assistance programs support your loved ones
Medical and wellness plans that are inclusive of all family types
News and Highlights
Are you interested in staying up-to-date on the latest career opportunities, recruiting events, and company news at VMware? VMware CareerHub is the place for you to do just that.Join Our CareerHub