Push Us. Amaze Us. Inspire Us.
Careers in Engineering
We are intellectual mavericks, pioneers, game-changers, and doers of the extraordinary, on a mission to create cloud, mobility, security, and virtualization solutions that will reach millions of users around the world. At VMware, our people are empowered to succeed and are valued for their innovative contributions as we revolutionize the IT industry.
Are you ready to join us?
Java Software Engineer
Boston, MassachusettsApply Now
First and foremost, this position is all about large scale data acquisition and analytics. As an engineer in the VMware Analytics Cloud, your primary focus will be to build the best telemetry platform possible for all teams across VMware. This system is built to help teams acquire and analyze telemetry from their products deployed in the field. This covers a broad range of responsibilities including not only development, but levels of architecture, operations, and internal customer engagement and support. We work very closely within our own local team as well as also with our team members overseas. Our system is quite large and involves proper communication to grow the platform and add new features. We also have a significant amount of internal customers and regularly work with them closely to design and implement new features. We have a very open culture that encourages everyone to play their own part and share knowledge. You will be responsible for taking requirements through design and implementation to operations. As you gain more experience and work with outside teams more, you will also help derive these requirements. As a senior engineer, you would be responsible for helping foster standard methodologies within the team and helping share your experience.
A successful member of the team will have a great level of self motivation and drive. You will be expected to craft stable, maintainable and well documented features. As you grow in experience and seniority, you will also be helping other members of the grow and learn as well. We all work better and are more successful together. You will have the independence and trust to understand the big picture and determine where you can make the greatest impact. There is phenomenal opportunity for growth in this project as VMware is just starting out in its analytics journey and there is much to do!
As a Senior Engineer you will:
- Design and influence information management for diverse business data domains, including aspects of conceptual, logical and physical design with a goal of providing sufficient details to undertake development, testing and implementation of the solution.
- Contribute to the architectural vision, roadmap, and implement standards for governing, modeling, storing, and delivering data within the enterprise.
- Define and implement policies and processes for data quality, data security, and governance.
- Commit to corporate-wide Data Management initiative across business units.
- Drive standards in development, design, CI/CD and DevOps.
For this role you should:
- Have proven experience in software development, ideally in distributed computing environments or Big Data platforms.
- Have 5 or more years as a software developer, preferably in Java.
- Have 2 or more years of experience as a technology authority, preferably in large scale data ingest, data architecture or database design.
- Be change oriented - actively generates process improvements; drives positive change; confronts difficult circumstances in creative ways; balances multiple competing priorities and executes accordingly.
- Have exceptional social and communication skills: verbal, written and listening.
Additional beneficial experience:
- Experience with SaaS and Cloud platforms. Technologies like AWS, Docker, Kubernetes.
- Advanced knowledge of data processing concepts (e.g. ETL, data aggregation, data analysis) is highly desirable.
- Experience with Hadoop ecosystem or Impala.
- Deep understanding of SQL and NoSQL databases.
- Experience with ML/Data Analytics tools like TensorFlow, iPython, R.
- Knowledge of BI concepts and reporting tools like Tableau.
- Experience working in an Agile environment.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Your saved jobs
You have not saved any jobs.
Recently viewed opportunities
You have not viewed any jobs.