Software Engineer - Internet of Things - Photon OS Linux Kernel Engineering
Bengaluru, IndiaApply Now
The Photon OS team is part of the IoT Business Unit and is responsible for delivering the groundbreaking Photon OS which forms a standard platform for IoT Edge gateways. The team focuses on cutting edge engineering and advanced projects around containers and operating systems engineering with a specific focus on security, performance and interoperability for linux containers.
Building an operating system distribution involves various sub processes distributed among various servers in the data center. The primary role for this position is to be responsible for the various Linux kernel variants in Photon OS.
This team is seeking engineers with hands on experience in the following areas:
- Experience with kernel/hypervisorcode/drivers required
- Intimate familiarity with Linux OS (kernel, systemd, system configuration, common open-source packages)
- Previous experience with distributed build and test Frameworks.
- Strong experience and interest in distributed systems.
- Experience with python and bash desirable.
- Take ownership of, kernel patches maintained in photon OS.
- Work with upstream linux community to upstream kernel features developed for Photon OS.
- Port kernel patches across different kernel versions
- Monitor and improve performance characteristics of various kernel performance across various workloads.
- Triage and root cause regressions, add test coverage on a package/system layer for bugs reported by our customers.
- Collaborate with external teams that require kernel patches for specific applications.
- Bachelors, Master’s or PhD in Computer Science or equivalent
- Completed coursework in operating systems, computer architecture, distributed and security systems, compilers, networking, and kernel development
- Strong skills in C, bash, python
- 5 to 15 years experience working at the Kernel/Hypervisor layer.
- Validated knowledge of operating systems (kernel level)
- Validated understanding of the Networking Space
- Understanding of and I/O architectures, storage stack, resource management, performance profiling technologies is nice to have
- Strong analytical, diagnostic and problem-solving skills with ability to work independently
VMware Company Overview: VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Interview advice from VMware hiring managers
*For a full list of benefits, broken out by country, please visit our Benefits Website.
Parental leave for mothers and fathers
Employee Stock Purchase Plan
Generous vacation, holiday, and paid-time-off plans
Ongoing development through monetary reimbursements and rotation programs
Neurodiversity, Backup Child Care and Employee Assistance programs support your loved ones
Medical and wellness plans that are inclusive of all family types
News and Highlights
Are you interested in staying up-to-date on the latest career opportunities, recruiting events, and company news at VMware? VMware CareerHub is the place for you to do just that.Join Our CareerHub