Engineering Manager Horizon Cloud Services
Bangalore, - IndiaApply Now Job ID R1910137
VMware's world-class, award-winning R&D; team is comprised of thousands of top-notch computer scientists and software engineers that are transforming computing through virtualization. Members of the R&D; team voice their creative ideas and watch them become initiatives, participate in exciting short-term and long-term products on the VMware roadmap, initiate advanced research projects, and/or write and test code that ships. At VMware, our engineers continue to learn and grow by working with top professionals from around the world and recent graduates of top universities and by taking advantage of our extensive internal training opportunities and generous external education assistance program. R&D; team members work on the latest computing equipment and have access to the ACM and IEEE libraries. VMware has R&D; offices in: Silicon Valley; Burlington, MA; Cambridge, MA; Broomfield, CO; Sofia, Bulgaria; Aarhus, Denmark; London, UK; Herzliya, Israel; Bangalore, India; and Beijing, China.
Group Description (End User Computing EUC – Virtual Workspace services R&D team)
Today's workplace is growing increasingly mobile. End-users need access to their desktops and corporate information from various devices and locations. For IT, the delivery, management and security of corporate desktops, applications and data is an exceedingly complex challenge. Our End-User Computing team is building the next generation platform for enabling the mobile, modern workforce. The Horizon family of products was developed around the vision that users now need a virtual workspace – a central hub for accessing all their desktops, business applications, services and files. Windows desktops have been a mainstay of the enterprise for 25 years, but a fundamental shift is now underway affecting the way enterprise customers access desktops, applications, and data. This shift is driven by two large-scale trends: cloud computing, and the emergence of personal Internet-connected devices to replace PCs. Desktops, apps, and data should be accessible from any device, anywhere, transparently. VMware Horizon is a SaaS solution for delivering virtual desktop and applications remotely. The Horizon engineering team is developing a software platform that enables enterprises to consume desktops/applications from the cloud in an as-a-service model.
- Lead and manage highly talented 10-15 engineers with varying degrees of experience, with direct responsibility to deliver complex features.
- While you will be responsible for directly managing individuals within your team, this is a highly technical role where you will be expected to provide technical leadership both for your immediate team and more broadly across the organization.
- Work with teams across multiple sites and geographies as a collaborator and partner. You will need to be able to gain respect and trust both from a technical perspective with your immediate team and other teams including development teams, support, operations and product management.
- Debug and handle complex technical design discussions across various stakeholders.
- Research, design and implement industry best practices in regard to provisioning, maintaining and monitoring cloud environments.
- Work with product management and other teams, to establish new requirements and play a lead role in the prioritization, design and implementation of features to deliver on the broader vision for VMware Horizon Cloud.
- Scope and author plans for complex, large features which may span across multiple teams and be delivered in multiple release cycles. Track and report project and feature status at the executive level as well as to release management.
- Triage and manage both feature and defect backlogs. In the context of defects you should be comfortable with understanding complex issues which may come from customers and other teams, including being able to look at logs and other diagnostic information, asking clarifying questions and being able to direct issues to those best suited to address them.
- Operate with a service ownership mindset to work in a devOps mode where the dev team is responsible for all automation, quality, CI/CD, logging, and monitoring of services that are being built
- Able and willing to write well-documented, high performance, reliable, maintainable code.
- You should be comfortable working in a fast paced environment where priorities and direction may change rapidly as customer requirements and market direction changes.
- 15+ years software development experience.
- BS/MS in Computer Science from Tier 1 or 2 colleges.
- Excellent design and programming skills primarily in Full Stack with a focus on enterprise server solutions using Java.
- Experience working in cloud technologies - (AWS or Azure is a plus).
- Working knowledge of Web Services technologies. Knowledge of Spring Framework and Hibernate
- Full working knowledge of software engineering principles, design patterns, and commercial product development practices in a complex larger enterprise/cloud solutions.
- Working knowledge of basic technologies such as networking (TCP etc).
- Use of Open Source packages for common capabilities.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with attention to detail.
- Hard-working with a "whatever it takes" attitude.
- Able to demonstrate effective teamwork both within the immediate team and across teams.
- Excellent communications skills and able to lead a team of highly technical individuals.
- Familiar with Agile/SCRUM development methodologies
- Familiar with one of the major server virtualization products (preferably VMware ESXi/vSphere)
- Experience with an RDBMS such as Oracle, MySQL, MS SQL Server, or PostgreSQL (preferred)
- Experience with test frameworks and tooling
- Knowledge and experience of C or C++ is beneficial.
News and Highlights
Are you interested in staying up-to-date on the latest career opportunities, recruiting events, and company news at VMware? VMware CareerHub is the place for you to do just that.Join Our CareerHub