Push us. Amaze us. Inspire us.
Careers in HR
Employee Relations Manager
Austin, TexasApply Now
We are seeking an experienced employee relations professional to join our Employee Relations (ER) team. The ER Manager will develop an understanding of the business and work effectively within VMware’s framework, core values and objectives in a global, high-growth and dynamic business culture in the technology industry.
The ER Manager provides employee relations and performance management expertise, case management and consultation for the Americas region. They develop and leverage ER best practices and processes to ensure fair and respectful treatment of employees consistent with company values, and local laws. This position reports directly to the Senior Director of Employee Relations within the Human Resources department.
The ideal candidate for this position has strong communication and interpersonal skills, enabling them to work successfully on a broad spectrum of employee relations issues and projects.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Investigations: Conduct Employee Relations investigations across multiple countries within the Americas region including gathering and analysing facts, applying relevant laws, policies and past practice to reach conclusions and present findings for further action and proposed remediation. May handle both routine and sensitive employee relations cases. Partner with Human Resource Partners, Employment Attorneys, and other internal investigative bodies, as necessary. Prepare Investigation summary reports, track investigations in case management system, and draft proposed disciplinary documentation as needed.
- Case Management: Provide expertise and case management of investigations and ER issues, including performance management and case specific handling from initial intake to resolution. May maintain ER case management system for the ER team, prepare regular and ad hoc reports, analyse, interpret and report on trends.
- Performance Management: Consult with managers and provide guidance to address specific employee performance concerns, including performance improvement plans and involuntary terminations processes and practices. Guide and train managers in overall performance management concepts in alignment with company philosophy, practices, and processes.
- ER expertise and inquiries: Provide general expertise, consultation, guidance and coaching to managers, HR teams, and other internal stakeholders to address employee behaviour and performance concerns. Interpret and apply understanding of corporate policies and practices, employment laws, and other regulations to provide advice, guidance, or clarification for ER inquiries. Review employment practices and procedures for effectiveness; may provide input and recommendations for process, practice and/or policy changes. Partner with business leaders and Human Resource Partners in improving manager and team capability and effectiveness by identifying root causes to issues.
- Organizational changes: Advises and consults with managers, HR teams and Employment Attorneys on position elimination actions, including preparation of internal documentation in accordance with company policies, practices and employment laws. May be called on to assist managers in notification meetings, and facilitate employee separation processes.
- Project Management: Coordinate internal resources, develop and manage Regional ER projects on time and within scope, develop project plans, measure performance of the project, and create and maintain project documentation. Work with internal resources to continually improve and upgrade ER data and analytic capabilities.
Required Qualifications, Experience and Knowledge
At least seven years combined human resources, employee relations or legal experience, and demonstrated passion for employee relations, labor relations, or labor/employment law with an emphasis on employee relations work.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Law degree or graduate degree in labor/industrial relations or human resources desired.
- Solid understanding of US state and federal employment and labor laws, basic understanding of laws in other Americas countries
- Experience and knowledge of best practices in conducting workplace investigations
- Experience in conducting corporate investigations of sensitive workplace complaints
- Demonstrated proficiency in advising and coaching managers on performance management
- Ability to handle highly sensitive information with absolute confidentiality and professionalism
- Ability to take direction and then work independently
- Self-motivated, team player and detail oriented
- Strong oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong partnering, diplomacy, collaboration, and communication skills
- Ability to multi-task, deal with ambiguity, influence decision-makers and work collaboratively in a team environment
- Demonstrated orientation to flexibility and adaptability to changing business conditions and needs
- Ability to quickly conceptualize, think critically and develop frameworks
- Project management: Basic skills and interests in project management
- Demonstrated ability to be proactive in identifying areas for improvement and implementing solutions
- Good understanding of MS Office tools (Outlook, Excel) and HR information systems (e.g. Workday)
Your saved jobs
You have not saved any jobs.
Recently viewed opportunities
You have not viewed any jobs.