Push Us. Amaze Us. Inspire Us.
Careers in Engineering
We are intellectual mavericks, pioneers, game-changers, and doers of the extraordinary, on a mission to create cloud, mobility, security, and virtualization solutions that will reach millions of users around the world. At VMware, our people are empowered to succeed and are valued for their innovative contributions as we revolutionize the IT industry.
Are you ready to join us?
Sr. Manager - Open Source Kubernetes
Palo Alto, CaliforniaApply Now
VMware's Pivotal Container Service (PKS) is chartered with making vSphere, our flagship Software Defined Datacenter platform, the best platform for enterprises to run containerized workloads using Kubernetes, docker, Cloud Foundry and other emerging container technologies.
The CNA PKS organization is seeking a highly motivated strong manager to lead a newly formed Kubernetes open source engineering team in Palo Alto. As a manager, you will lead and manage a team of highly motivated engineers to contribute to the Kubernetes open source project. You will be the VMware Kubernetes developer evangelist to participate in SIG, conference and meetup to increase VMware’s visibility and influence on the Kubernetes open source community. You will need to attract and recruit talented Kubernetes developers. In addition, you are part of the PKS product team, responsible for a few of the PKS product components development.
You are someone who has track record participate in technical committee of an open source project, who knows how to establish influence in an open source community and directly engage with the developer communities, who is an active committer and maintainer of an open source project. Excellent communication skills are a must, but will also need experience effectively using tools such as github, blog and twitter. While most OSS collaboration takes place online, public speaking and presentation skills is required for the conferences and meetups. In addition, the candidate should have a proven software development background with experience in the successful delivery of high quality software projects. This candidate should also have experience with agile software development techniques, test driven development, and working in using with hybrid and innovative SDLC methodologies. The ideal candidate will be highly technical, detail oriented with focus on implementation excellence as well as have significant project management expertise in large scale commercial enterprise product development. Experience and knowledge of the management of virtual and non-virtual data center environments is highly desirable.
- Hands on experience with Kubernetes
- Ability to work in a community and help drive agreement and decisions
- Ability to evangelize Kubernetes in the community. Able to present at conference, meetup as well as ad-hoc presentations.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related technical fields and 8+ years of related experience in the software industry
- 5+ years of experience managing and growing a high-performing software engineering team through multiple releases
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience working with matrixed organizations across multiple geographical locations
- Knowledge of multiple software lifecycle methodologies including Agile and Waterfall
- Experience in scalable distributed systems in Go, C++, or or Java
- Excellent leadership, people management, communication and documentation skills
- Champion innovative environment with peers and staff
- Ability to discuss and provide architectural and technical guidance to a team of highly skilled engineers
Highly Desirable Skills:
- Apply with your github id and your blog site
- Customer/partners facing experience
- Experience in using vSphere and/or Virtual Center products
- Experience in delivering SaaS solutions
- Experience in using or delivering Cloud based services
- Knowledge of performance analysis and distributed systems
- Experience with Continuous Integration processes
VMware is a global leader in cloud infrastructure and business mobility. Built on VMware's industry-leading virtualization technology, our solutions deliver a new model of IT that is fluid, instant and more secure. Customers can innovate faster by rapidly developing, automatically delivering and more safely consuming any application. With 2015 revenues of $6.6 billion, VMware has more than 500,000 customers, more than 75,000 partners, and 19,000+ employees in 120+ locations around the world. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Do you dare to do the stuff you've always dreamed about? Dare to explore at careers.vmware.com.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Your saved jobs
You have not saved any jobs.
Recently viewed opportunities
You have not viewed any jobs.